Ford Forums banner

Under Drive Pulleys ***WARNING***

7K views 81 replies 22 participants last post by  GTP 320 
#1 ·
Greetings All
just a word of warning re the Under Drive Pulleys, i have fitted a set of Battens Performance Under Drive Pulleys to my Pursuit & now i have a MAJOR traction problem

if i am driving along @ 60 Kmh & then nail it the noise from the rear is awsome :AAHHH: i carn't belive how much quicker this baby rev's it's amazeing

it's like a new lease on life going from :zzz: to :AAHHH: in an instant, i would put the Under Drive Pulleys up there with the Pacemaker's & Cold Air Intake & Throttle Body

the ease of fitment is simple, the quality of the pulleys is first rate & the added power & throttle responce is speachless :wnc: :AAHHH: :wnc:

my Ute was a little sleepy until 3200 Rpm & now it's awake as soon as the alarm goes off & the feet touch the floor & then all you need to do is hang on for the ride :AAHHH: :AAHHH:

regards
rod

#2 ·
Great news Rod.
I am going to wait and do the whole kit and caboodle on mine at once, zorst,cai,pulleys and when Barry gets the "boss edit" i will get it set up for all the mods.

#3 · (Edited)
rod said:
Greetings All
just a word of warning re the Under Drive Pulleys, i have fitted a set of Battens Performance Under Drive Pulleys to my Pursuit & now i have a MAJOR traction problem

if i am driving along @ 60 Kmh & then nail it the noise from the rear is awsome :AAHHH: i carn't belive how much quicker this baby rev's it's amazeing

it's like a new lease on life going from :zzz: to :AAHHH: in an instant, i would put the Under Drive Pulleys up there with the Pacemaker's & Cold Air Intake & Throttle Body

the ease of fitment is simple, the quality of the pulleys is first rate & the added power & throttle responce is speachless :wnc: :AAHHH: :wnc:

my Ute was a little sleepy until 3200 Rpm & now it's awake as soon as the alarm goes off & the feet touch the floor & then all you need to do is hang on for the ride :AAHHH: :AAHHH:

regards
rod
See the extra benefits that can be accrued when one ignors the half cocked advice of fearful and/or negative people. GOOD ON YOU ROD, now perhaps you'll understand why I raved about them :wnc:

#4 ·
so, I gather your happy with the result? These thing's a likened to getting 'boob' jobs. Some people rave about them and others go on about the health risks....

In the end I'm pleased your happy....it sounds like a worthwhile thing to do, but imagine what your car will be like when a BOSS edit is available!!!

#5 ·
Hypnodoc said:
See the extra benefits that can be accrued when one ignors the half cocked advice of fearful and/or negative people. GOOD ON YOU ROD, now perhaps you'll understand why I raved about them :wnc:
greetings Doc
i owe you an appoligy, i remember when you first got onto them i thought that you were Hallucinating but now after fitting them i guess you were right, my humble appoligies

regards
rod

#6 ·
CDAA said:
so, I gather your happy with the result? These thing's a likened to getting 'boob' jobs. Some people rave about them and others go on about the health risks....

In the end I'm pleased your happy....it sounds like a worthwhile thing to do, but imagine what your car will be like when a BOSS edit is available!!!
Boss edit will be great on the BA's but a BA with Under Drive pulleys & a BOSS edit will be awsome

regards
rod

#8 ·
rod said:
greetings Doc
i owe you an appoligy, i remember when you first got onto them i thought that you were Hallucinating but now after fitting them i guess you were right, my humble appoligies

regards
rod
No need for that, I'm just pleased that your getting the same improvements that I noticed. Big difference between a FAST car and a QUICK car IMHO. I am led to believe that apart from Battens there are some pretty crappy Under Drives out there in Mod Land.
My biggest problem, now that that bloody Mod Bug has bitten again, is what to do next. :AAHHH: I don't want to go for a blower because thats a bit too radical in my book, throwing another $12000 at the car all at once for a blower and also getting a Typhoon would be ample justification for the other half to demand a house full of new furniture or something equally as boring. All I can think of is Computer mods :wnc:

#9 ·
hey rod you and the Doc are related are you lol...
no seriously rod i heard your wife used the Pursuit to go to the shops this morning and she wanted to know why she couldn't keep traction, she knew that you changed something because the power on the ute felt like it had increased.
she didn't know about this mod, Rod got busted...

#10 ·
XRFPV8 said:

no he just supplies my pills lol

no seriously rod i heard your wife used the Pursuit to go to the shops this morning and she wanted to know why she couldn't keep traction, she knew that you changed something because the power on the ute felt like it had increased.
got busted big time by the Hand Brake but i just told her to stop mucking around in my car... it sounded good at the time but when she got home she was convinced that i had done something

if she who must be obeyed can notice it i think we are all in for a good time :AAHHH: :angel:

regards
rod

#11 ·
XRFPV8 said:
Have you got the pulleys yet Mark?....

Cheers,
Rod

#15 ·
Rod............

Which Underdriven pulley is it?

Also what % is it at? 10% underdriven or 25% underdriven??

Simon

P.S congrats on the lease of live in the rev range especially down low

#16 ·
greetings Simon
i used the Batterns Performance under drive pulleys
i have not worked out the ratios as yet but will get back to you shortly

regards
rod

#17 ·
TeamKiwi said:
Rod............
what % is it at? 10% underdriven or 25% underdriven??
Simon
greetings Simon
hope this is what you are chasing

the FACTORY specs are as follows

Cranks shaft Rpm 1:1
Alternator Rpm 2.89:1
Water Pump Rpm 1.26:1

regards
rod

#18 ·
rod said:
greetings Simon
hope this is what you are chasing

the FACTORY specs are as follows

Cranks shaft Rpm 1:1
Alternator Rpm 2.89:1
Water Pump Rpm 1.26:1

regards
rod
the UNDER DRIVE pulley ratios ar as follows

Crank shaft Rpm 1:1
Alternator Rpm 0.93:1
Water Pump Rpm 0.75:1

if my math's is any good the factory set-up is 1 \ 2.89 \ 1.26 = 0.275 that would put the factory set-up overdriven by 27.5%

& the under drive set-up is 1 / 0.93 / 0.75 = 1.433 that would put the under driven set underdriven by 19.19%

0.275 \ 1.433 x 100 = 19.191% under driven from the factory set-up

thats enough maths for the day....... my head hurts lol
if anybody can calculate it better i am all ears

regards
rod

#20 ·
rod c said:
Have you got the pulleys yet Mark?....

Cheers,
Rod
hi Rod C, I DO NOT HAVE THESE PULLEY'S YET, JUST COUGHED UP FOR A SET OF 19's AND A WANT TO PUT A TRANNY COOLER ON, LOOK AFTER THE AUTO....
ITS A GOOD THING EVERY WEEK THERE SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE TO BOLT ON, I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO TRY THE BATTENS 80MM THROTTLE BODY SPACER IT HAS A NICE TORQUE CURVE THROUGH THE MIDDLE LOOKING ON THE DYNO SHEET. AND MORE LOW TO MID IS WHAT WE WANT...

#22 ·
rod said:
the UNDER DRIVE pulley ratios ar as follows

Crank shaft Rpm 1:1
Alternator Rpm 0.93:1
Water Pump Rpm 0.75:1

if my math's is any good the factory set-up is 1 \ 2.89 \ 1.26 = 0.275 that would put the factory set-up overdriven by 27.5%

& the under drive set-up is 1 / 0.93 / 0.75 = 1.433 that would put the under driven set underdriven by 19.19%

0.275 \ 1.433 x 100 = 19.191% under driven from the factory set-up

thats enough maths for the day....... my head hurts lol
if anybody can calculate it better i am all ears

regards
rod
Round off to say 25% underdriven Rod,

25% underdriven is about the max limit due to compressor and ancillaries pulley cranking required.

Simon

#23 ·
TeamKiwi said:
mark where are your tyres and rims off the ute now, i need some 17 inch tyres preferably the SP Sport 3000a

Simon
Sold them as a set, they are a very good trye SP Sport 3000 my rears done 15,000klm and many Calder meets burnouts and still had 35% tread left...i couldn't belive how well they wear...

#24 ·
TeamKiwi said:
Round off to say 25% underdriven Rod,

25% underdriven is about the max limit due to compressor and ancillaries pulley cranking required.

Simon
if i was to round it off to 25% somebody would come back & say that it's more like 20% so i just thought i would post the actuals & if anybody wants to round it off to what ever they are comfortable with then thats up to them

as for 25% being the maximum limit i am quiet sure that Battens Performance would have researched this as they have been working on this for a while but didnt want to release it until they were 100% happy with the product, i know this as i have been chasing a set from them for a while to evaluate & all i can say is the wait was worth it

regards
rod

#25 ·
25% puts a strain on your A/C etc, whoever some LS1 guys are running 25% underdriven and have no probs with A/C etc. your does sound like 25% underdriven which is fine, i wouldnt imagine going any higher. Which i dont think anyone would bother on a modern day car. dyno results would also show an improvement than OE Balancer. a 10% underdriven on a LS1 can make from 3-7rwkw (alledgedly)

Simon

#26 ·
TeamKiwi said:
25% puts a strain on your A/C etc, whoever some LS1 guys are running 25% underdriven and have no probs with A/C etc. your does sound like 25% underdriven which is fine, i wouldnt imagine going any higher. Which i dont think anyone would bother on a modern day car. dyno results would also show an improvement than OE Balancer. a 10% underdriven on a LS1 can make from 3-7rwkw (alledgedly)

Simon
Battens gave me 12rwkw from the bottom to the top end. The most noticable (seat of the pants feel) is the extra and more immediate response. There is a stronger pushed back in the seat feeling and the car gathers momentum much faster. Reading Barrys web page I think I'm gonna have to ring him and get the 80mil T/Body and Helix, its only 8.30 Sun Morn here, so I guess I better let him sleep a bit. If he has some in stock I'd like to get them fitted 2morrow before I go To Bris for the week. If that is the case there will be a one month old Herrod Helix spacer available to the first taker at $200. If anyones interested pm me. :bouncesmk :beer2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.