Underdrive pulleys for ba xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 23:50   #1 (permalink)

Underdrive pulleys for ba xr8

hi im looking at getting a set of Underdrive pulleys for my xr8 just wondering what peoples addvice on them are and if any one as had trubble with them on the 6spd box . What brand would u recomend and should i got for the street or race series
tufesp351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 00:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Underdrive pulleys for ba xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufesp351
hi im looking at getting a set of Underdrive pulleys for my xr8 just wondering what peoples addvice on them are and if any one as had trubble with them on the 6spd box . What brand would u recomend and should i got for the street or race series
I'm running bpt race underdrives, had them fitted by Michael at omega automotive in Guildford, Sydney(really knows his stuff). No probs so far on my 5 spd box but they've only done about 5,000km. From what I understand a clutch upgrade is more or less inevitable with these cars if you mod them and give them a bit - as you would expect with any car. Underdrives seem to work well though - motor tends to rev up a lot quicker, as if you were in a lower gear.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:12   #3 (permalink)
RACE

I can back Daves recommendation of Omega Automotive. Give Michael a call and he;ll let you know. No known issues with a 6 speed as a number have already been done without any problems.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:21   #4 (permalink)

What sort of Dollars would you be looking at to have one supplied and fitted?
XR8ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:12   #5 (permalink)

i had problems with my underdrives would suck the clutch to the floor aparently very few do it and the only way to fix it was too upgrade clutch
IW84NO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:28   #6 (permalink)

In the last issue of Blueprint FPV suggested (in fact it was a full page article) that modifying your underdrive pulley was very risky as it impacted on the balance of the engine and it's ability to run correctly.
Old 05-27-2006, 22:51   #7 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Keep away from them all together, They are more trouble than there worth.
Nearly all the so called Ford enhancment joints have them & have had trouble in one sort or an other.. They also give very little in the way of power increase.
As has been mentioned: read the last issue of blueprint that will open your eyes to the trouble they can cause...
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 00:07   #8 (permalink)

I think you you will find they give a better power increase to a Auto and probly less trouble.
Goldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:00   #9 (permalink)
TuffZc and pursuit

Some of the underrive pulleys available, use no apparant harmonic balancer weight which has been blamed for some of the problems and they are meant for 4.6 motors not our 5.4, powerbond make a underive pulley that still retains a full balancer and I have not heard of any problems with these ones, but not to say there has been no problems.

If you beleive everything ford try to tell you, we would all leave our cars dead stock knowing that is the best power we will get and they will never be a problem.

*UPDATE * Pursuit has just run 11.763 and 116.18 mph making it Australias Quickest and fastest unopened boss as well as Australias Quickest and fastest naturally aspirated Boss
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
"HSV I JUST BLEW ONE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Some of the underrive pulleys available, use no apparant harmonic balancer weight which has been blamed for some of the problems and they are meant for 4.6 motors not our 5.4, powerbond make a underive pulley that still retains a full balancer and I have not heard of any problems with these ones, but not to say there has been no problems.

If you beleive everything ford try to tell you, we would all leave our cars dead stock knowing that is the best power we will get and they will never be a problem.
I for one can say that in using both UD bpt and powerbond, That the BPT under drives are in fact made fo the 4.6 not 5.4 and will 100% cause your engine to fail due to the oil pump gears even though they are a known issue, It just speeds up this process.

The Powerbond UD on the other hand are in fact fantastic once I'd fitted the UD I noticed that the engine was nicer on idle and thoughout the rev range , As for power I haven't lost anything in the way of performance , Still one of the quickest street trim GT out there. So I would have to say there a good thing.
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum