Warranty Warning - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 07:46   #1 (permalink)

Warranty Warning

The genuine ford alrm fitted to the performance vehicles is of course made by some one else which is nothing unusual. My alarm atarted to flash ten times every time the ignition was turned on and the alarm ceased to function. I went to a dealer and phone calls were made as ten flashes did not compute, 8 flashes are the most it should do.
The manufacturer said that it was the siren in reset mode so there was more than likely a problem with the siren itself apparently they have had a few that turned up with faulty key barrels. We followed his instructions and applied downward pressure to the barrel while jiggling the key and it came good. The dealer rang the manufacture back (here's where it gets interesting) the manufacture first wants delivery of the siren to see if it has got water damage which is not covered by warranty before they will replace them. I said that the engine has never had water around it but they say that if the plastic cap is not in place over the barrel it is possible for condesation to form over night and then make it's way into the barrel. I hope it doesn't play up again because I hate the idea of some who has a vested interest making a decision as to whether he/she thinks it may/may not be a result of water/condesation.
I guess the purpose of my post is to say
never put water near your engine,
always place the protective cap over the barrel
Because even if you do they are still going to try to say it's not their fault as they came accross to me.
Anyway it seems that it was just a loose contact as it is working spot on since.
paulhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 20:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Warranty Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhowes
The genuine ford alrm fitted to the performance vehicles is of course made by some one else which is nothing unusual. My alarm atarted to flash ten times every time the ignition was turned on and the alarm ceased to function. I went to a dealer and phone calls were made as ten flashes did not compute, 8 flashes are the most it should do.
The manufacturer said that it was the siren in reset mode so there was more than likely a problem with the siren itself apparently they have had a few that turned up with faulty key barrels. We followed his instructions and applied downward pressure to the barrel while jiggling the key and it came good. The dealer rang the manufacture back (here's where it gets interesting) the manufacture first wants delivery of the siren to see if it has got water damage which is not covered by warranty before they will replace them. I said that the engine has never had water around it but they say that if the plastic cap is not in place over the barrel it is possible for condesation to form over night and then make it's way into the barrel. I hope it doesn't play up again because I hate the idea of some who has a vested interest making a decision as to whether he/she thinks it may/may not be a result of water/condesation.
I guess the purpose of my post is to say
never put water near your engine,
always place the protective cap over the barrel
Because even if you do they are still going to try to say it's not their fault as they came accross to me.
Anyway it seems that it was just a loose contact as it is working spot on since.
A crap alarm it is anyway, mine goes off every now and then when I'm driving. I didn't even know that they needed a key. Is it the ignition key or a seperate one. If its a seperate key I never even got one.
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnodoc
A crap alarm it is anyway, mine goes off every now and then when I'm driving. I didn't even know that they needed a key. Is it the ignition key or a seperate one. If its a seperate key I never even got one.
should be a barrell key for the siren itself
Old 07-01-2004, 05:20   #4 (permalink)
rod

the siren on my car does not have a provision for a key either

maybe the dealer fitted alarm is useing a different siren to the factory fitted alarm

regards
rod
Old 07-01-2004, 06:16   #5 (permalink)

i have a factory fitted alarm and it has never had any probs with it, it does have the key on the siren which is used to turn the alarm on and off, it has the protective plastic cap on it, and i have pressure washed my engine bay quite a few times without a hassle to anything electrical in there...
not sure if dealers used different companies to supply there alarms, but after costing me a packet, i really dont have any complaints with mine, after 3.5 yrs, it has worked perfectly..
Old 07-02-2004, 01:59   #6 (permalink)

Mine is also in the pursuit and has a tickford name and emblem embossed on to the siren.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:19   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

the factory fitted alarm is made by Vision.

www.visionalarms.com.au

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:55   #8 (permalink)
Respect the Bulge

The FPV alarm does not have a key hole, but the previous one for the AU did. I also had a problem with the alarm in my GT-P that went off as I was driving (very embaresing). The only thing you can do is cycle the alarm before heading off. To cycle the alarm you have to stop the car, take the key ou of the ignition, lock the car with the remote, unlock the car with the remote and then start the car again.

Sorry I digress the problem was traced to a loose grounding strap in the front passenger kick pannel. When I phoned FPV about this they and the dealer were very helpful. No problems since.
Old 07-02-2004, 16:37   #9 (permalink)

Personally im not happy about the car alarm that FPV use,i think that they are pretty pissy,but i believe an upgrade can be made by Vision alarm that makes them louder,still waiting for details from Russ.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum