the weight issue again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2003, 04:29   #1 (permalink)
one day.......maybe

Motor mag: weight issue again

sorry guys, but not sure if this has been posted before. couldn't find it anywhere.

just wondering if anyone else has noticed in the lastest Motor Mag that they include the claimed and wet weight of all 9 cars tested.
i'm sure by now we're all aware of holdens dodgy method at weighting their cars, and this was show with almost every holden car having a higher wet weight (the correct one as far as i'm concerned) than the claimed weight.
On the other hand, all the Fords had a lower weight. Which brought the fords and holdens a lot closer than i thought.
but what was the biggest surprise was the wet weight of the XR8. Ford claims it at 1795kg i think, but they got a wet weight of only 1707kg. thought it was a miss-print, but even the rear/front split weights add up to 1707kg. sure'll this can't be right. if so, then why does the ford lag as far as it does behind the lower powered SS in performance terms.
anyway, just my 2c.

BTW, the times of the GT are improving with every article i read. if it's true that they're best with 20thou on the clock, i'm sure we'll see close to 5.6sec times soon at the rate they're decreasing.
FordXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2003, 06:12   #2 (permalink)

l cant possibly see how an XR8 can be 1707kg. Has to be a misprint.

Great to see the GT doing so well, and l agree once they have 20000km on the clock the times will get even better.

Well done Ford
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:59   #3 (permalink)

Motor Mag have only done times on the XR8 once back in March. Than they Copy and Paste. They dont even bother doing times.Wheels did a compar on a SS and XR8 and a Clubsport . XR8 0-100 =6.2 SS 0- 100 =6.4 XR8 o-400m= 14.4 SS 0-400m = 14.5. They were tested on the same day.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:31   #4 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

Yeah i was looking at the power and weight comparisons, and that the XR8 had a better power to weight ratio than the SS but still ran a slower 1/4 mile. I know gearing plays a part in it but i thought it woulda been a bit closer.
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

What has me scratching my head is the claim that the XR8 is nose heavy, yet it achieves almost 50/50 weight distribution front to rear. How does that work???
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 22:21   #6 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

If the weight is correct, how can the GT weigh 100kw more than XR8. Definetly a missprint. Unless they chucked in an all Alloy boss engine in the XR8
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

That's a very good point. But you'd think the original mistake would have been picked up when they calculated the weight distribution???
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:54   #8 (permalink)

I saw an article in either the Age or Australian newspaper motoring sections recently where they said that the weight of the Holdens was not correct. Apparently Holden have been posting the tare weigh of their cars and stating that this was the kerb weight. (Tare = car weight without fluids, i.e. full tank of petrol, water, oil, etc.).

Ford have been publishing kerb weights which includes alll of the above fluids. Apparently Ford management were livid at the perception that the BA was porky in comparison to the Dunnydoor.

Holden have apparently admitted the error, claiming that it was a honest mistake and that the correct figures would be posted soon.

At the end of the day the Falcon is only approximately around a 100 kgs heavier.
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:31   #9 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

snowman..............you are about a week or so late
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum