What to look for - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
wanna GT

What to look for

I am looking at buying my first GT mark I.

Can any one tell me what to look for to make sure its an original. And is there any big probs with the mark I`s.

Dont really want to buy one that is a done up XT claiming to be a GT.

I am looking at getting an auto.

Any info will be appreciated, thanks
nAmTaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: What to look for

There are lots of indicators you consider but the easiest way to check it is a GT is to run the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) past FPV or a Ford dealer. Should do that anyway so you can check the history of the car and what warrenty issues it may of had.

Biggest concern with the series 1 was the oil issues with some of the 03 models. FPV later changed the rings they used, but some have had engine rebuilds or change over motors. Drive line shunt was most possibly the worst with the series 1 models but mainly with the 5 speed manuals (auto's were generally fine).

That's about the worst of it.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:40   #3 (permalink)

i had a 03 GT for a while before i changed to the Typhoon.. the diff was replaced once.. but it still had a pretty bad backlash.. u just have to learn to drive around it .. once you master it u won't have problems.. other than that.. there was a rattle on start up.. but that was fixed by ford in a few of hrs.. Just get a nice exhaust and those problems u won't think about it.. but if u can spare the $$$ get a MKII..
Phoontastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:21   #4 (permalink)
Demeritator

Yeah I'd also agree with waiting a lil bit and seeing just how much more the MKII's devalue now with the very well priced BF GT. My MK2 resale is sure dropping! Damn, just have to keep it : ) MK2 had several revisions, less oil issues, and stiffer suspension. I would say if you can track the car with Ford and try to chase it's service history at it's dealer, you would be hard pressed to go wrong either way. You'd have to do a lot of work to pass an XT off as a GT, just pop the bonnet....and drive it!

Oh yeah with an auto the backlash IS still there, but it's hard to notice as it seems to be absorbed by the slushbox....
Old 11-23-2005, 23:46   #5 (permalink)
wanna GT

Thanks all for your replies, i definetly wont be rushin in to spend big dollars on a shit box so i will take my time and try my best to find a great specimen. I also agree with maybe waiting for the markIIs to drop as i like the pod gauges also and hopefully less bugs then the mkI.

I was concerned for knock offs and rebirths, especially as you can buy a complete GT-P interior on ebay, dash, pedals, and every now and a again spoilers (i also relise you can buy these from a wrecker).

Any hows thanks for the advice and you will all know when i get one
nAmTaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:37   #6 (permalink)
Formerly Ford GT BA

Thumbs up Re: What to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAmTaB
Thanks all for your replies, i definetly wont be rushin in to spend big dollars on a shit box so i will take my time and try my best to find a great specimen. I also agree with maybe waiting for the markIIs to drop as i like the pod gauges also and hopefully less bugs then the mkI.

I was concerned for knock offs and rebirths, especially as you can buy a complete GT-P interior on ebay, dash, pedals, and every now and a again spoilers (i also relise you can buy these from a wrecker).

Any hows thanks for the advice and you will all know when i get one

To avoid a rebirth/stolen just ask for the FPV Compendium which comes with all FPV's they wont reprint them unless you have proof that is very compelling, mine got "lost" in the mail and it took me about 8months of emailing etc to get another one printed.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:29   #7 (permalink)

hey mate i got an o5 typhoon and i keep smashing the diff cap have u ever herd of ant 1 having these problems
john.finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum