What's more important to potential customers? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
plonky

Question What's more important to potential customers?

Considering the Ford Tickford Experience was more a case of "who is FTE" than " where do I sign", what are the things that potential customers look for when opting to spend 60 to 90k on a car.

Is it:

The car MUST have the right numbers, right look and right infrastructure? ;

or

If I buy this car I'll get an exclusive toolkit for the console, some race team shirts/caps/posters

or

the car must have the credibilty offered by a winning combination of company and race team

or

if I buy one, where can I get the bloody thing serviced (as befits someone who is spending a fair wack on a car - that's why my wife keeps going back to Rick Damelian for Alfa's - great service and they REALLY do look afetr their customers)

or

a number of the above.

HSV have got this down to a fine art. Really, for anyone to go and buy a modified Commodore in the belief that they are getting a piece of automotive art (struts/trailing arms, truck gearbox/etc) and expect that they will be seen as King of the Road (that's a Shelby Mustang for those that don't know KR500) shows the triumph of Marketing and Sales over Design and Infrastructure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2002, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

The "Experience" part of the FTE experiment was heading in the right direction. The marketing of it was laughable.

From my persepctive it is about the following:

1. Providing a vehicle that is unarguably above the mainstream product in all the performance oriented attributes.

2. Providing a rewarding ownership experience. That obviously means different things to different people but I appreciated the (a) track days (b) premium service and (c) participating in the build process.

These cars should be about a rewarding ownership experience that is a cut above the normal. My FTE experience has matched those expectations and I expect (hope) that my FPV one will mirror that.

HSV have succeeded in creating a desirability for their product that has frequently overshadowed its' real worth. Perhaps FPV will help Ford to achieve the same.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:53   #3 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

i think all in all it comes down to

"do i like this car? and will i enjoy giving it a flogging?"
Old 11-09-2002, 05:54   #4 (permalink)
aka "Mr BURNOUTworld"

Quote:
HSV have succeeded in creating a desirability for their product that has frequently overshadowed its' real worth. Perhaps FPV will help Ford to achieve the same.
I actually don't because then if Ford/FPV only rely on marketing power like HSV then the quality of the cars will go down because it doesn't need to be so high. Economic rationalism. I know everyone at Ford would rather eat dirt then reduce product quality but in the end they are trying to make money and if the can begin to cut corners in their cars and still get the sales then (god forbide it) they just might. Our "friends" at Fishermans Ben know all about this little "tactic". While Ford is #2 it has to try that little bit harder to get sales which (in my opinion only) is reflected in their high product quality.
Old 11-11-2002, 00:41   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

If Ford choose to take the high moral ground and not enter into an aggressive marketing campaign, then they do so at their own perril.

Those of us old enough to remember the VHS v's Beta battle will remember that a technologically superior product failed to a superior marketing campaign.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

My want list:

1. Auto flip number plate set off by speed cameras
2. Stealth technology surfacing and paint (anti-radar)
3. Active radar/lidar jamming

Then, and only then, will I be able to enjoy driving again.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:25   #7 (permalink)

My want list for a 60 to 90k car:
1) Make it 50.......... bucks (a year's savings for me)

That's it.

But if I had to be picky, I guess like audioslave says, it's gotta be a good flog, and it's gotta really communicate with u when u drive it, like it's your right hand. The numbers aren't important, but it's gotta hold it's own against the competition.

Marketing wise, hats and posters are available at your nearest authorised Ford dealer for a lot less than 60k. An invitation to go wheel to wheel against Bowe, an advanced driving manual, detailed documentation of the extra features and specs of your car like the engine blueprint, etc. Official Ford shop manuals, photos of the car during development and the build process. Exclusive stuff that only Ford can give you is what I reckon will really make the owner feel special.

That and the dealer's gotta take extra care of you, courtesy cars, extra priority when working on your car, more flexibility in business hours, regular phone calls to check on how your car's going, making sure ur enjoying it.

Of course, my peasant mind works different from that of the car buying public.
Cancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:53   #8 (permalink)
DARK SIDE spy

oh definately Cup Holders, I just can't do without them!
All cars should be judged on how many cup holders they have!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean who cares about an engine or brakes. In fact I am going to buy an esky as that has more cup holders!
Old 11-29-2002, 16:33   #9 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Davo
If Ford choose to take the high moral ground and not enter into an aggressive marketing campaign, then they do so at their own perril.

Those of us old enough to remember the VHS v's Beta battle will remember that a technologically superior product failed to a superior marketing campaign.
Actually Davo I believe that the deciding factor in this battle will be availability (as it was with VHS versus Beta), you can't buy the car if you can't find the dealer. Exclusivity is great but not at the expense of availability!
This has always been a strong point of the XR range, you can get one at any Ford dealer (& get it serviced!)

Also see MOTOR's reasons for usually comparing XR's with SS & you will see that the 'moral ground' is understood by some.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 16:52   #10 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Most "normal" people, IE the majority who don't care about what they drive, buy a car on the following merits in order :

1. Looks
2. Safety
3. Performance

Its probably different for those who buy HSV though, although if the bodykits filtering down to stock holden cars are anything to go by, a large proportion of that is still looks. Actually its suprising how quickly the VT now looks dated.

Track days and the Owners experience is all well and good, but I know about 8 people who own hsvs at work and none of them go to any sponsored track days. Track days are a selling point, but realisitically only to the red and blue armies, many execs and businessmen simply dont have the time to go out onto the track for a bit of fun. Interestingly with the vs series of hsv, 20% of owners were coppers.

Motomk, be careful what you wish for; the Holden Suburban has 13 cupholders for 10 people
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum