Ford Forums banner

When will we know the weight?

5K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  Aussie Pete 
#1 ·
It's great that everything has been released. Power = 290kw. But Weight is always a determining factor, and althought I dont think the cars will be that much heavier, I am still very keen on knowing how much these veicles weigh. I guess it will be in MOTOR or Wheels, which ever comes out first.

#5 ·
harasn said:
same as XR8+ tinny bit. Could find out exactly but might get in trouble at work!
Hey harasn,
Media comments on the XR8 have not been the best so far (earily days however). They appear to blame the weight in general and claim the XR8 is no faster than an XR6T or SS.
I was under the impression that the Xr8 felt and performed quicker than the turbo from all 'non offical' accounts of experience.

Have you driven all of these and what is your thoughts on it all mate?

Sorry this is a little off the topic, however it's relevant to the GT indirectly.

#7 ·
i drove both the xr8 and the ss on the same day.
the ss didn't do much untill it reached 4000rpm and then the grunt started.
the xr8 pulled from 2000rpm and consistent through the whole rev range.
the first gear on the xr8 was unbeleivable.it revved up so quick and just pushed you into the seat.
as for cornering, i don't drive that hard to notice the extra weight pushing you back.
i can't wait to read what critics have to say because i had high expectations of the new xr8 and it delivered, just what i wanted.
but i guess it's upto the critics to decide on the xr8's fate.
i beleive it's a winner no matter what report the car gets.

#9 ·
How much more does the Auto XR8 weigh over the manual?

#10 ·
Thoughts

I think you/we will find its the torque curve that determines acceleration.

Most experiences show good low rpm acceleration, pretty much flat across the rpm range in the XR8

However, XR6T and SV8/SS may be more peaky. Buts its going to be the area under the curve that determines overall acceleration, over say the 1/4 mile.

Eg, an XR8 may feel strong off the line, whereas the others dont, however the others increase acceleration as the rpms increase, whereas the XR8 may maintain a constant rate.

Its 0-100 and 1/4 times that are all important in this assessment.

Of course, in the stop start of urban driving the XR8 may have the advantage up to say 50kmph. But then dropping the clutch in an SS at 3500RPM might dispell any of that too...

Id like to see some 1/4 mile times and 0-100 runs from various people. Im still considering GT or SV8?

Im not interested in options, I want minimum weight and maximum power. I think the SV8 will win (If holden can sort out the current LS1 problems). However a 290KW GT might convince me otherwise. We will see. Although of course the $20K price difference buys a lot of LS1 addons...

#11 ·
snavy

5.4L is heavier for sure. Back in AU there was about 30kg difference between 6 and regular 8. Now with BA the XT comes in 51kg heavier with the SOHC 8 vs DOHC 6. Figuring that the DOHC 8 with bigger heads and 2 extra cams is heavier than the SOHC and the new DOHC 6 is heavier than the old SOHC 6 for similar reasons its pretty safe to say the new 8 is the porker. Now think about swapping in some alloy heads on the windsor which can drop up to 25kg off and it makes it seem almost svelte by comparison.

#12 ·
What we need to do is work out some power to weight ratio's.

I did do this a while ago but can't remember the weights of the vehicles.

If anyone has their owners books at hand they could look in there and we could work it out.

There was a post ages ago about the same topic.

#13 ·
anakha said:
snavy

5.4L is heavier for sure. Back in AU there was about 30kg difference between 6 and regular 8. Now with BA the XT comes in 51kg heavier with the SOHC 8 vs DOHC 6. Figuring that the DOHC 8 with bigger heads and 2 extra cams is heavier than the SOHC and the new DOHC 6 is heavier than the old SOHC 6 for similar reasons its pretty safe to say the new 8 is the porker. Now think about swapping in some alloy heads on the windsor which can drop up to 25kg off and it makes it seem almost svelte by comparison.
why not use aluminium or alloy? I knows its more expensive but that little more expense would do wonders for the V8s.

im guessing the GT and GTP would be around 1825 KG's :wiggle:

#15 ·
julian said:
how much heavier is the turbo over the std 6?
According to Wheels the XR6 Turbo Manual is 1732kg and the Auto XT 1694kg.

#16 ·
GT-P if you are interested, my VT2 HSV R8 manual - 1705kg, 250kw @ 5600rpm, 473Nm @ 4000rpm.

Although, I would bet that it would be a bit more than that with leather interior and a sunroof, but the spec sheet does not say :( hmmm nor do they list a different weight for the auto vs manual.

#18 ·
Fellas I am sorry to have to be the one to do this
For me Specs mean zero.
A while ago my uncle went around trying a number of cars out, and now I think he wants a GT-P. But he told me, and I think this is very important.
"Specs and times mean F--- all. If you are going to drive the car, you need to get in it and drive the bitch. If you like it then buy it, other wise get the other car that you actually like...Even if it's a bloody SAAB."

So, do you get what I mean?

#19 ·
Cobra said:
How much more does the Auto XR8 weigh over the manual?
About 20kg which is the same as comparing an Auto XR6T to a Manual XR6T which both use the same ratio. Is there a reason Ford has given XR8 Manual a higher ratio than XR8 Auto?

XR6 N/A & XR6 T Auto and Manual 345:1 Final drive
XR8 Auto 345:1 Final drive
GT,Pursuit,GTP Auto & Manual 345:1 Final drive

XR8 Manual 323:1 seems odd.

#20 ·
DR XR said:
About 20kg which is the same as comparing an Auto XR6T to a Manual XR6T which both use the same ratio. Is there a reason Ford has given XR8 Manual a higher ratio than XR8 Auto?

XR6 N/A & XR6 T Auto and Manual 345:1 Final drive
XR8 Auto 345:1 Final drive
GT,Pursuit,GTP Auto & Manual 345:1 Final drive

XR8 Manual 323:1 seems odd.
But it's not the same becasue the XR8 and XR6T use a different Gearbox, the TR3650 found in the Xr8 beeing heavier I beleive.

#21 ·
Yugostar - you hit the nail on the head.

Drive the damn thing and see if you like it or not. WHO CARES if it is 2 tenths faster over a 400m dash than an SS or whatever!?

Drive the car becuase you enjoy it. 15% of the driving of a GT would be hills driving anyway. It doenst matter that much!!

#22 ·
BA GT-HO said:
Yugostar - you hit the nail on the head.

Drive the damn thing and see if you like it or not. WHO CARES if it is 2 tenths faster over a 400m dash than an SS or whatever!?

Drive the car becuase you enjoy it. 15% of the driving of a GT would be hills driving anyway. It doenst matter that much!!
I tend to agree with that statement myself too but if Ford are to convert the xr8 into strong sales the 0-100 and 1/4 fiqures do matter.

There are alot of people out there that simply rely on these times to make there decesion to purchase a new performance sedan. Even thou there might only be a couple of tenths in it.

Holden already have a edge on Ford, as far as sales in the performace car sector. If the ss is still a tenth or two quicker than the xr8 in these two areas areas,the general public,which has no allegiance to either marque, won' t see past this and will most likely purchase the ss. (let alone any Holden owners switching camps)

My personal thoughts only.
:s5

#23 ·
rkc62 said:
XR8 is 1795kg plus any fitted options...

Power/weight 6.90 kg/kW
(compared to Commodore at 6.76kg/kW)
GT 1850kg 290Kw 520Nm. Work that out!

from trusted timing system and driver I found the XR6T quicker from 0 - 100km, XR8 quicker to 400m. Not sure on GT. XR8 is harder to get off the line well due to ease at getting wheel spin! What a problem to have :)

#25 ·
1850KG!!! My girlfriend weighs 50kg so that is like three of her in my TE 50 over and above the driver. Even the GT will be struggling to beat my car in a straight line and the tyres and front suspension are the same so mine has to out handle it. The only place it may excell is top speed and how often do you do that. They have definitely blown it.Not to mention that all the BA range looks too narrow for its length.No wonder the new Xr8 I drove was ho hum on accelleration. The turbo with a few extra pounds boost is looking very good esp at the price. What were we expecting from a truck engine anyway. It was always going to be heavy and needs much more than 290 kw to justify its weight.Why the hell do you need 4 valves per cylinder and quad cams to make less power than an hsv???- and im a ford man through and through. I think we need a weight loss programme across the whole range plus an alloy block plus a better tuned HO- fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.