Whining Diff Again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FPV & Tickford Forum GT, GT-P and all FPV Discussions. Formerly Tickford.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Whining Diff Again

After the long drive from Port Arlington to Heathcote and back to Melbourne, and the FPV drive day i have noticed my diff is whining again !
It was in for its 15,000k service today and the service advisor took it for a spin and confirmed my suspicions.
The original diff whined from day one, this replacement has done about 7,000 k's and has only started to whine in the last week or so.
Why in this day and age with all the technology we have, they cant manufacture quality components ?
I have a pretty good ear for mechanical problems as i am a qualified mechanic, but been out of the game for over 12 years.
How many unsuspecting people are driving their vehicles around with noisey diffs etc... and dont realise it ?
A new diff is on order and will be tested and delivered after christmas, the other replacement took over 5 months to arrive !
All i expect is to have a car that can cruise along at 100k's with out a noise like a mosquito in my ear. Dana must get their act together, they obviously cant build diffs with the correct tolerances, how hard can it be ?
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 03:14   #2 (permalink)
Magnificence in Motion

Re: Whining Diff Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cams290
After the long drive from Port Arlington to Heathcote and back to Melbourne, and the FPV drive day i have noticed my diff is whining again !
It was in for its 15,000k service today and the service advisor took it for a spin and confirmed my suspicions.
The original diff whined from day one, this replacement has done about 7,000 k's and has only started to whine in the last week or so.
Why in this day and age with all the technology we have, they cant manufacture quality components ?
I have a pretty good ear for mechanical problems as i am a qualified mechanic, but been out of the game for over 12 years.
How many unsuspecting people are driving their vehicles around with noisey diffs etc... and dont realise it ?
A new diff is on order and will be tested and delivered after christmas, the other replacement took over 5 months to arrive !
All i expect is to have a car that can cruise along at 100k's with out a noise like a mosquito in my ear. Dana must get their act together, they obviously cant build diffs with the correct tolerances, how hard can it be ?
Well I am afraid that it's a cancer mate - the no one gives a sh*t about doing the job right cancer.

I worked as a quality controller in a vehicle part manufacturing plant (company's name withheld) and trust me on this but I was not allowed to QC anything so as not to interfere with production.

They did not give a sh*t if it was junk as long as they made their quota of junk for the day.

I quit, it's not how I do things.

Now you know why.

I said to the ICWS ( In Car Whingeing System )
"What's the problem, it's a victimless crime...except for him, he lost!"

XcelR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:33   #3 (permalink)
Movin!

Cam, don't hold your breath on the new one either, unless they have got a proper fix for it in the last few months which I believe they may have.

Go out and get some 3.7's fitted at a proper diff joint, they seem to put them together properly
Old 11-26-2004, 06:36   #4 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Cam, if you are thinking of having a ratio change try Northern diffs and gears they done a super job on mine..Bill realy knows his diffs....tell him i send you, then you will pay double ..lol..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:40   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Dana must get their act together, they obviously cant build diffs with the correct tolerances, how hard can it be ?
Unfortunately it's company's like Dana that is letting down Ford with the problem components.
I dont know what Ford can do- find another supplier but where.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 15:17   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Greetings Cam,

Firstly, congrats on your debut 14.14. Great debut pass in an auto pursuit.

The problem with the diffs is at Dana's end, and in my opinion is a pinion pre-load issue.

People who have tried to do their own diffs over the years have noted that its not as simple as bolting in a set of gears. The pinion depth must be set correctly to ensure a proper acel-decal operating pattern for quietness and long crownwheel and pinion life.

When the pinion is installed, I have noted that the acel/decel pattern Dana adhere to seems to be within spec, however the pinion does not have enough pre-load. The result is a quiet diff until the pinion bearing wears in, and becomes slack, allowing the pinion to move around more freely.

THIS IS THE NOISE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT.

The fix is to re-set the pinion, but to a higher (closer to crownwheel) location, pre load it to a higher tension. A secondary problem is created here, but we can achieve the right backlash with careful shim selection, providing a more stable envirionment.

Any BA Dana diff we have inspected has had "loose" pinion pre-load. Its a simple fix, and relatively inexpensive one (unless he is driving a phantom ute, no discounts for him lol)

My personal car has travelled 8500 klms, and is on its 3rd diff. I have just informed my dealer that I will be doing this one myself. (maybe a ratio change). In my opinion, the "production line" style of building these diffs is the problem, with each set of bearings and gears slightly different in manufacture tolerance, so they each need their own amount of attention in setting up, some more than others

Anyone who needs help in this area, we will only be too glad to help. The price of genuine 4.11 and 3.7 gears has fallen dramatically, so PM me if you need help in this area. If you call in, just mention your forums name for a tea/coffee and the cheapest and best diff in melbourne, over 30 years experience.

Best Regards,

Chris
on behalf of Northern Differentials.
Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 15:49   #7 (permalink)

Morning guys!

I have not experienced this problem with my GTP yet, but from what Chris of Northern Differentials is saying it seems it is only a matter of time/mileage and can be fixed without changing the diff. I work overseas and my car is not driven very often as it is stored in Sydney. So my question is can anyone recommend a similar workshop in Sydney that can perform the fix? Thanks Jim Young
Jim Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 16:29   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young
Morning guys!

I have not experienced this problem with my GTP yet, but from what Chris of Northern Differentials is saying it seems it is only a matter of time/mileage and can be fixed without changing the diff. I work overseas and my car is not driven very often as it is stored in Sydney. So my question is can anyone recommend a similar workshop in Sydney that can perform the fix? Thanks Jim Young
There is a good chance that you will Jim, I had 2 fitted to my BA Turbo, the GTs whines and rumbles and I expect the Typhoon to do exactly the same. This time I'm going to take Chris's advice and just take it to a diff joint. It's not worth the drama of waiting 6 weeks or more then losing the car for 2-3 days and having the noises reappear again 3-6000 klm later
Still everything else about the cars is 10+ in my book
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 17:53   #9 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
Greetings Cam,

Firstly, congrats on your debut 14.14. Great debut pass in an auto pursuit.

The problem with the diffs is at Dana's end, and in my opinion is a pinion pre-load issue.

People who have tried to do their own diffs over the years have noted that its not as simple as bolting in a set of gears. The pinion depth must be set correctly to ensure a proper acel-decal operating pattern for quietness and long crownwheel and pinion life.

When the pinion is installed, I have noted that the acel/decel pattern Dana adhere to seems to be within spec, however the pinion does not have enough pre-load. The result is a quiet diff until the pinion bearing wears in, and becomes slack, allowing the pinion to move around more freely.

THIS IS THE NOISE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT.

The fix is to re-set the pinion, but to a higher (closer to crownwheel) location, pre load it to a higher tension. A secondary problem is created here, but we can achieve the right backlash with careful shim selection, providing a more stable envirionment.

Any BA Dana diff we have inspected has had "loose" pinion pre-load. Its a simple fix, and relatively inexpensive one (unless he is driving a phantom ute, no discounts for him lol)

My personal car has travelled 8500 klms, and is on its 3rd diff. I have just informed my dealer that I will be doing this one myself. (maybe a ratio change). In my opinion, the "production line" style of building these diffs is the problem, with each set of bearings and gears slightly different in manufacture tolerance, so they each need their own amount of attention in setting up, some more than others

Anyone who needs help in this area, we will only be too glad to help. The price of genuine 4.11 and 3.7 gears has fallen dramatically, so PM me if you need help in this area. If you call in, just mention your forums name for a tea/coffee and the cheapest and best diff in melbourne, over 30 years experience.

Best Regards,

Chris
on behalf of Northern Differentials.
Thanks for the reply Chris, was nice meeting you at Heathcote last weekend, thanks for the try of the BMC, must get around to coming over to Cambellfield one of these days.
I think a crown wheel and pinion change would be great 3.73:1 would give it a bit more pull down low, and maybe a mild stall converter ?
With this new Advantage and the up and coming APS/Boss edit we can really start to play with diffs/Converters etc..
Any idea how many more revs at 100 kph it would be doing more than the 3.45:1 ?
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 18:20   #10 (permalink)

200 at the most.
Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > FPV & Tickford Forum