Ford Forums banner

XR-8 tops GT times at the Drags Friday night.

19K views 194 replies 37 participants last post by  TeamKiwi 
#1 · (Edited)
Was there a GT with a faster time than the Black Panther? :sperm: :sperm: :sperm: :sperm:

#2 ·
1st off, what a top night! SO many cars, SO many spectators!... And finally, to see a heap of BA's (Pursuits, GT's GTP's, XR8's, only 1 turbo I think?) from here...Great stuff!
The highlight of the night would have to be 100% winning nearest to the pin in the 12.99 section (I think he ran 13.1)... following closely as 2nd highlight, would be the clean as a whistle black XR8 running a 13.8! He said it just BIT in & pushed him back in the seat! This is after running mid/low 14s all nite! ( just proves how critical the launch is!)
I think it was FPVGT ( red GT with stripes) who ran a 13.7 to just eclipse the XR8 time?
Another great moment in sport would have to be the David & Goliath match race between a certain blood orange GT against a phantom XR8 ute! With the underdog just getting the bickies!...
Traction was once again a concern... I really think Calder has had its day?.. The crowd was enormous, showing Drag racing is alive & kicking!.. Pity it can't be showcased in a decent enviorment?.. The whole facility is in dire need of maintenance, the return & staging roads are deplorable, The bloody ET & MPH light boards are impossible to read, even the machine that prints timeslips needs ink!
Anyhow, Was a good night.. And nice to be able to put a few more faces to names!
How addictive the 1/4 mile can be!! (Now wheres M/T slick distributors ph No.)

#4 ·
I already mentioned traction problems... The far lane was downright scary!... early in the night, I honestly thought I'd lost it!... To break traction at 4500rpm in 3rd, (sideways) then off the gas & on again, and for it to again start sliding with wheels spinning at whatever speed (I imagine around 90mph) is unbelievable! A mate of mine in a 300GTS commie had the same thing happen! (same lane, 2 runs after me)
I will concede, that as the night wore on & no doubt more rubber deposited, it improved. How this was ever the home of the Nationals, I'll never know.

#6 ·
Top night and good to see some nice looking Ford vechiles for a change.

#7 · (Edited)
it was a fun night we got to meet a lot more FF boys...Charlie can we ring someone about the return road we need a Calder working bee....as for ink on those time tickets surely with the crowds there pulling at $17 a head they can buy some ink and put new light bulbs in those time boards...and thx to Rod for his help, with my Ute.....my utes best run was a 14.70 @ 96.46 mph

#8 ·
one would think the calder owners would get a little serious with the repairs, from what i have heard it was a great turnout.
although given the runners were fully aware of the very poor track restrictions,
well done all, awsome stuff..
cheers.

#9 ·
Great night it was really awesome to see so many Fords there especially the amout of new BAs and all the vibrant colors of the Ford range.Just a pity the maintenance of the Calder track is in dire needs of repairs,otherwise a good evening was had.
Cheers John

#12 ·
Just had a look at my mates XR8 venom ute timeslip and was suprised to see a 100mph terminal speed.Best time recorded was a 14.5 with a cold air intake only.Not bad for a workhorse.

#13 ·
I was very impressed with a 1O3.57mph.Hopefully next time a mid 13 sec pass can be achieved.

#14 ·
FPVGT said:
Just had a look at my mates XR8 venom ute timeslip and was suprised to see a 100mph terminal speed.Best time recorded was a 14.5 with a cold air intake only.Not bad for a workhorse.

Sorry to the guy in the blue BA ute I beat early in the night, I prefer beating GM's (Honest!)

The real "Work Horse" Stock white XD Van 351

Clevelands Rule!!!

#15 ·
It was an excellent turnout there last night. Previously i'de run a 14.8 at heatchote and got it down to 14.43@98.65 in my BA XR8 ute. I think at least a few tenths are still there with better launch, i think i'm still over cautious about getting too much wheelspin, need to drop that clutch a wee bit harder. Was still a bit hot early on, and quiet, where we got about 5 quick runs in.

I think with a bit of money tipped in by the owners the circuit could be greatly improved, the return track, the time display, and limit the bloody cop car on 2 wheels display and more drag racing could be fitted in! There were some seriously quick cars there last night too

#16 ·
Interesting ,
30 odd year old technology and still up there with the new stuff.Cleveland V BOSS well i have to go Cleveland.

#17 ·
Now come on guys, this thread should have been titled

XR6 TURBO blitz's V8's again!

Great night though, awesome to see all the BA's, shame I only worked out my correct tyre pressure on the last run, but managed 13.08@107mph witha 60ft best of 1.99.(damn that elusive 12sec time slip)
I don't think I got to meet everyone, but there's always next week!

Who's coming? :wnc:

#18 ·
What tyre pressure did you have down to in your last run Mark?
Cheers John

#20 ·
greetings all
i can feel that arm being pushed up my back again..... ok ok i submit i will come back next week

wish you blokes would stop doing that to me forceing me to run again......... stop it i like it......... lol

i had a great night last nite, it was good to put some more faces to names

the highlights of the nite for me was

1 /
Mark ( XRFPV8 ) flogging that orange thing... carnt recall what car it was, maybee someone in here knows

2 /
Mark ( XRFPV8 ) running his best time to date 14.7 great time for a XR8 ute

3 /
Mark ( 100% ) running his best @ 13.0 & taking home the trophy.. enother to the collection........ maybee it time to enlarge that cabinet everybody would have to agree that he has that thing hootin

4 /
my 14.110 for the night is the best i have run, better than the 14.187 that i ran @ heathcote

5 /
the BEST highlite of the night goes to Charlie with the BURNOUT @ around 150Kmh up the top end of the track... great driving Charlie but remember burnouts are to be done at the other end of the track & not in the middle of a race expecially at that speed :AAHHH: :wnc: :AAHHH:

regards
rod

#23 ·
Gambit said:
What mods are done to Marks (100%) XR8? Good times you all put down. Sounds like it was a good nite
Mark ( 100% ) runs a XR-6 TURBO ute
Mark ( XRFPV8 ) runs a XR-8 ute

like everybody else there last night there cars are "STANDARD" :wnc: :wnc:

regards
rod

#24 ·
Yep the orange thing got beat, well done to everyone. Traction was a major issue for as well as evrybody else. I did manage to post a 14.2, with bad take off and shocking 60ft time. Oh well i guess there are other nites, and I definiately need more practice on launching my beast. Go the GTs

#26 ·
Well done to everyone who had a go and as mentioned before it's great to see so many FORD's again at the track. I'm still stunned regarding the 13.8 pass in the black XR8. Was it stock and manual? Just goes to show how quick these things can be with a great launch.

By the way a great result 100% with the 13.0 pass, not bad at all for a wee six!!..lol

Cheers,
Colville

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.