99 Cobra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles Forum for discussion of all Ford SVT Vehicles, such as: Ford F150 Lightning SVT, Ford Cobra SVT, Ford Focus SVT, Ford Contour SVT and previous SVO vehicles as well.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2001, 16:46   #1 (permalink)
In Too Deep...

confused 99 Cobra

Hey,
I am a teen looking at a 99 Cobra. I was wondering if any of you just have a Cobra and not a winter car. Caus Cobra's are RWD and the one I am looking at has, what look like, racing tires that don't look like they would do to hot in the winter time. Would you get the Cobra and buy tires to swape at winter time or just go with a different vehicle?? I am pretty sure I am gonna get a Mustang so I don't really see much difference in the GT and Cobra when it comes winter time.

Have any of you had problems with your Cobra's at winter time?? I doubt any of you drive them in the winter time :s5

If you bought new tires for the winter time plz give me some recommendations... I just saw some good looking ones on www.tirerack.com but there are mixed reviews on them...
:bhrmmm2:__:crazy3:__ :bs3:
__
____
Wade Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2001, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Mmm 99 cobra. Wish I was looking at one.:s5
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 23:29   #3 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

can't help you there wade. my winters never see snow, unless i travel to the local mountains.

sorry. good luck with the car though.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:46   #4 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

mad

Hi Wade,
Before I would make the purchase of any late model Cobra, I would check the cost of Insurance. I'm 56 and when I bought my 95 Cobra 6 yrs. ago, I had no tickets and no accidents. My Ins. Co., Mutual of Enumclaw, Which wrote my home owners, all my cars, my business and my business vehicle ins, of which they were covering over 12 vehicle and had insured me for over 15 years, would not cover the Cobra. The Mustang is one vehicle that they refuse to cover. Was I mad.
My Son Dave was 22 when he bought his first Mustang. It was a 93 LX with a 5.0. His car payments were $185 per mo. Ins. payment $265 per month and he has never had a ticket or accident.
Personally I can't see anyone with no driving experience driving or owning a Car with the power of most Mustang's especially the Cobra.

Your Question about winter driving.
The Cobra is not a foul weather car and does not handle well in any type of snow or ice. If you want to add a traction type tire, you'll have to add them to all 4 corners. If you could put 15" rims on the car and go with a narrow tire, the car would handle well. But with the 13" Rotors up front the only wheel you have to choose from is the 17" Rim. With a 17" rim, you will have a min. tire width of 8". Just not good for foul weather driving.

I Have Michelin 3XPT Pilots at $350 ea. and just no traction. I just park it in the garage during the winter.

If you're Hell bent to buy a late model Mustang, I suggest that you consider the LX version with a 6 cyl. Still good get up and go, but the Styling is the same. And let's face it. The Girls won't know the difference any way. They only see what's on the outside.

Good Luck
SSSNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 11:40   #5 (permalink)
Cobra Member *hissssss*

Girlies

Quite a few girls here in Milwaukee know the difference between a Cobra and a GT or even a LX for that matter.

2 Nights ago, I pulled into the local Custard Stand hangout on the strip to meet a few friends who were talking to some girls... One of them said, "Holy Crap, that's a real Cobra. That thing must be really fast."

Yeah, most girls wont be able to tell... some will.
Old 11-26-2001, 17:43   #6 (permalink)
Probe GT Member

i hope your not getting a car to get chicks, cars should be an extension of one's self. get one because u want one for yourself, not for some girl, plus chicks dig much more than cars...
charger758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:21   #7 (permalink)
Cobra Member *hissssss*

Girlies

Well.... if you got a nice car, they seem to like you a bit more.... In the one week that I've had my Cobra, I've had 3 girls make mention on how they like it.... I think I had like 3 girls in 2 years say how they liked my Probe....

Then again, lets face it.... the Cobra takes out the Probe anyday.
Milw96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:25   #8 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

Thumbs down Re: Girlies

Girls! Can't live with'em and can't live without'em!
Thing is, one of them, or all of them, don't know a Mustang Cobra from a Shelby COBRA (the REAL deal). But then I'd be willing to bet you didn't bother explaining!
Good luck with the girls. Watch out for those who really know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Milw96Cobra
Quite a few girls here in Milwaukee know the difference between a Cobra and a GT or even a LX for that matter.

2 Nights ago, I pulled into the local Custard Stand hangout on the strip to meet a few friends who were talking to some girls... One of them said, "Holy Crap, that's a real Cobra. That thing must be really fast."

Yeah, most girls wont be able to tell... some will.
VENOMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:53   #9 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

Thumbs down

WADE:

Everything you say about RWD is true, and at least quadruple in Cobra.
Just forget the winter tires. Summer tires are bad enough in the rain.
Cobras in the snow go only in one direction: AROUND.
I don't want to be a wet blanket, BUT - I hope you have a responsible adult supervising your auto purchase because you need it! As a teen all you need is cheap and reliable transportation.
I've been driving for 42 years and own a supercharged 1997 Mustang Cobra Convertible. It's a fun car, but it can get into trouble quick. So, before you get into trouble (and YOU WILL with a COBRA!) and lose your driving privileges (or worse), and get all bent out of shape because you're paying for the big, bad Cobra and CAN'T DRIVE IT!, put your money on a lot less car. You'll be way ahead in the end.
VENOMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:45   #10 (permalink)
helllllooooworllld

If you wanna get a car to pick up chicks get a Lexus. Cant go wrong with a luxury import

I would go with a Lexus SC300/SC400. the insurance wont be as high. you'll be driving a VERY reliable car that wont give you problems for a VERY long time. The features are just unbelievable and since you are a teen you wanna go fast. Trust me I know the feeling. This car will get you where you want fast but probably not as fast as a cobra but if you get a SC300 and swap the Lex engine with a supra engine twin turbo is you'd be looking at a Lexus with over 600HP with very little mods. A SC will cost you around $10,000 to $25,000 depending on year and condition. If you're interested in swapping the engine you're looking at adding close to another 10,000 to 20,000 G's depending on the engine u swap with and what mods you do. Still not bad. Maximum cost you're looking at is like 45,000 but I dont think you'd get it that close since most Sc's dont cost as much as 20,000 unless its a failry new one. If you're going to swap the engine dont get an SC newer than 95. But overall I think a Lexus SC is the way to go. I've always been a big fan of luxury imports. I never really like domestic cars at all, especially Fords. I dont think Fords are reliable at all. I'm only saying that from experience. Hey at the end only your opinion and your choice counts. So make it a good one. Pick a Lexus :) just kidding but I hope this helps

OH! One side note. I wouldnt buy an SC for a winter car. This car will not perform very well in snow. I think snow tires with a bunch of sand bags in the trunk help it a bit but it wont perform like an AWD. Get a Subaru Impreza WRX if you want performance and great control. Those cars are so awesome. Anyways those are just my 2 cents
Jimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles

« new area | St200/24 »