99 contour svt performance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles Forum for discussion of all Ford SVT Vehicles, such as: Ford F150 Lightning SVT, Ford Cobra SVT, Ford Focus SVT, Ford Contour SVT and previous SVO vehicles as well.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
killabeez5686

99 contour svt performance

lookin for some good contour svt performance parts , and should i update the stock intake cause it's a cone inside the airbox but it's built into the fender to pull in cold air so maybe an aftermarket would make me lose power , some help would be nice ~thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2003, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 99 contour svt performance

most aftermarket can be fitted to pull air from the same location. Of course you might want to have a larger TB as well as the other goodies. Most of this you can get off of the web.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 18:04   #3 (permalink)

ive heard there are performance loss with larger throttle bodies. a dyno test will prove that. you'd have to redo the UIM and LIM, not to mention the intake itself. Its a good idea to put an nice K&N intake, but make sure you get some sort of heat shield.

-98 Contour
-68 Cougar
"If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything"
mycainsbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Just depends on what all you are going to do. If you plan on just sticking a TB on the car and think you are going to get anything out of it then of course you are silly. Hence my comments on other goodies. Just like why would you put braided lines on a stock brake system. You are not going to get much out of that, but with other things you will get a much better performing brake system. Just as with an intake. Just throwing a larger cone filter is not going to do much if anything. You need to increase the breathing all the way through not just open it up to stiffle it as it hits the tb or for that matter the manafolds.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:36   #5 (permalink)

work on the exhaust, thats where youll find the most gains. not to mention <<caugh caugh>> NOS<<caugh caugh>>

-98 Contour
-68 Cougar
"If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything"
mycainsbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:42   #6 (permalink)
Birdman93

The problem with adding a larger TB to the stock system is that you introduce a slowdown in the airflow.

Think about it this way-what happens when you hook two hoses together to water a lawn? You have one hose that is 1/2 inch in diameter hooked to the outlet on the building, and the other hose is 1 inch in diameter.

Same principle with airflow.

I use a 73mm MAF, and a 65mm TB-in this way I increase the flow of air into the intake-kind of a poor man's supercharger.
Old 11-07-2003, 18:07   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Sorry but it is a little more complicated than just that. You have to take into effect the fact of turbulence as well as other factors. As with any intake it is not going to be the smoother you get it the better it performs, just as it is not going to help that you are trying to shove more air into a smaller opening. The TB/manafold and other components are going to have a max flow rating and if you peak or go above that then you are just harming the system and not helping it. You are not going to get a "sc" effect with this I am sorry. Not unless you are actually increasing the pressures and forcing the induction air in. Then you still have to consider what turbulence you have in the manafold, how much more turbulence you have introduced or removed.

yes i know it is a bit more technical than this, but after 13 beers I am far from explaining it properly.
Old 11-07-2003, 23:50   #8 (permalink)
Birdman93

That little bit came about from a discussion between myself, a rep from Kenne Bell and one of the Ford SVT engineers. The sample I gave was the best way to describe it without going into engineering detail which most here would find rather boring.

You are not increasing the pressure-rather, you are increasing the velocity of the airflow into the intake. Increasing the velocity has a positive effect on the flow of air coming into each cylinder, because you get a better mixture of the air and fuel sprayed from the injectors-this is similar to the effect of a "ram air"-not the "sc" i stated erroneously in the previous post.

using a larger TB with the stock MAF will have the opposite effect-you will slow the airflow into the engine-definitely NOT a good thing.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:19   #9 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

while what you have said is true in some regards, you can only "force" so much into that opening without having to change out other components. It is simple mathematics actually....well for some of us...but the point is that yes you will get a better turn around iwth a larger maf per say you are also going to have to make more changes if you max out the airflow. too much is just as bad as not enough. Simple stated you can only push so much into the intake before you will have to change that out to accept the higher amounts you are trying to push in. By limiting it at the TB or the UIM or LIM you are just hurting yourself and wasting money.

But the real question is what is the limits of that engine....that I do not know, but needless to say just slapping on a cone may be a good solution in the short run, but then your PCM is going to relearn the amount of A/F ratio to make it as close to stock as possible. That usually takes around 30miles for the PCM to relearn the new curve and that SOTP feeling you had was just that for the limited time you have had it, eg the 30 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles