Ford Forums banner

Can you help? (new member)

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Titter 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and I hope to be around a lot more if I end up purchasing the 97 Cobra I've had my eye on. I have a few questions that I would like to ask, so if anyone could spare a couple of minutes I would appreciate the help. To start, please understand that I've always been a Mustang admirer but I have never owned one nor have I seriously researced them. I know a fare bit but not an entusiastic amount (I have a friend with a 01 Cobra Sean Hyland Custom and a buddy with a 95 GT). Did the 97 SVT Cobra come with some type of certification of autenticity? How can I find the build #? Is it on the engine like the Cobra R? Does $14500 with 46k sound about right for a condition of just below mint? It is bone stock with new parts such as all around brakes, tires and wheels. Stock wheels have winter tires mounted on them (approx 6k of winter driving). The car owner is a wealthy owner of a building contract company. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Andy

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats if you purchase this car. I would suggest you do a Car Fax search to see if it has a bad history, crashes or salvaged. Look the car over good and if you don't know enough have someone that does do a thorough inspection. You can get a new SVT certificate from Ford by calling 1-800-FORD-SVT or 800-367-3788. You will have to be the owner to get the certificate but they will probably verifiy for you whether it is a true cobra and not a re-baged GT.

Good Luck!
Robert

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am in Ontario and it is the law here to receive what is called a used car buyers guide when purchasing a used car privately. The guide includes a full history of the car including crashes and previous owners. The SVT phone # is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Rob03.

Andy

#4 ·
I am a second owner of a '97 Cobra. I got a certificate by calling SVT. You will have to fax or mail them a copy of the registration to verify ownership. The certificate came in less than two weeks.
It reports build date (1/27/97), build number (#18) and total number built (3088).

#8 ·
The Snake world is good!

Amazing! I did my first 360 with my fiance in the car. My stomach and upper body hurts now, after she laid a beating on me. Buy the way my wedding is this July 6th. A bunch of people end up selling thier beloved cars at this point in life, but not us. It's our wedding gift! The Cobra's gonna take a little getting use to but I think I'll manage. I don't know how I lived with out it. I called SVT and got thier fax, I get the info off to them tommorro. I'm getting tint put on tommorro and an alarm installed Friday a Tri-ax shifter is on back order and I should be getting it in the next couple weeks. I am a happy boy!

Cheers

#10 ·
She drives it half the time :( I Love the car. It's performing well. I'm still getting use to the lack of storage room in it but I'll think I'll cope. As long as my hockey bag and golf clubs fit I'm set. I still can't believe that I hadn't bought a Stang before.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.