"H"ot Cobra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles Forum for discussion of all Ford SVT Vehicles, such as: Ford F150 Lightning SVT, Ford Cobra SVT, Ford Focus SVT, Ford Contour SVT and previous SVO vehicles as well.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2001, 09:54   #1 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

mad "H"ot Cobra

I just bought a '97 Cobra with 20K miles from my son. It is equipped with a Vortech blower. It's temp. gauge runs over there between "A" and "L" under normal driving conditions. It just goes over there after a warmup period and kind of operates out of there like a normal situation would operate around mid-gauge ("R" to "M"). Of course with the A/C on it goes even higher.
It does this even without a themostat. I flushed the system and the coolant is clean and good in appearance.
On occassion the "CHECK ENGINE" light has come on.
My son says all Cobras run toward hot, and that his Ford dealer said it's due to the blower.
I do not believe either of these explanations to be the reason for the indicated high temps!
So, before I go to my local performance Ford dealership, does anyone have any suggestions as to a possible solution?
VENOMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2001, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Not at all sure how to fix it, but could you post a picture?? :)
ibjhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 02:02   #3 (permalink)
wirechaser_99

Read Here are some things to check

Hi,

No offense, but your son has obviously been mislead in troubleshooting this problem. And without a doubt so is the Ford Dealer. I mean what do they know about a Supercharged Cobra, I have found out from experience and lots of dollars that it isn't much.

What is happening is this. The Cobra doesn't have that much difference in the computer than any other 4.6L V-8. The cars computer is sensing that there is WAY more air being pushed into the air intake tube than normally required to operate the engine.

This "measure" of air is taken by the MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) Sensor, which adjusts things like injector opening frequency and ignition timing in order to comensate for more or less air passing through the sensor. And, if your a motorhead, you should know that if the timing is "bumped-up" too much that it will cause the temerature to rise drastically.

Now, by swapping the stock MAF Sensor for a more throaty (is that a word?) 70/75mm Mass Air Flow Sensor, the computer will sense a "READ NORMAL" amount of Air passing throught the meter and change the ignition timing accordingly, in turn, reducing your temp and saving the day. He will probablly pick up a few extra horses in the process. Also, change the thermostat to a lower temperature.

After owning two saleens ('89 and a '93) and three Supercharged cobras '95/'96/'93 (I still have the '93) I know for fact that these are top priorities to check, because if your car runs too hot and gets enough boost it will blow a head gasket faster than you can get a good jump off the starting line.

If ANY of this is news to you, and/or if it helps, please, e-mail me back at wirechaser_99@yahoo.com. Then I will let you in a few secrets to REALLY give that COBRA some VENOM.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-11-2001, 04:53   #4 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ibjhb
Not at all sure how to fix it, but could you post a picture?? :)
Hi James:
No pictures yet. They are still in the conventional camera awaiting completion of the roll. I plan to scan and e-mail to those interested. It's black/black/black, lower 2", with 245/40ZR18's front/295/35ZR18's rear on Saleen wheels. It also has a lightbar, which of course, is only visible with the top down.
Use your imagination for now.
Old 07-11-2001, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Yeah, please post the pictures when you get them!
66PonyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 05:09   #6 (permalink)
Mustang Cobra Member

cool Pictures of 'VENOMUS'

The wife accidentally got a CD along with the development of our 35mm pictures, so pictures are now available.
To those interested in pictures of 'VENOMUS' (ibjhb and 66PonyStang in particular), give me a clue as to how to post them here or send me an e-mail and I'll reply with pictures attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford SVT Vehicles | SVO Vehicles