5x7 speaker opinions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 03:15   #1 (permalink)
Demeritator

5x7 speaker opinions

Hey all,

Just wondered as to peoples opinions on their speaker choices.I know in 6/6.5" there are heaps of choices, but my concern is the modification necessary, blanking off the rest of the hole to "seal" the "box" ( not that a door is much of a box ... ) and having done this in my curnet AU, I rally don't want the hassle again.

I'm interested to hear what 5 x 7 's people are using and what they thought of them. I have done a bit of research, and the list seems to as follows:

Readily available in OZ

1. JBL GTO
2. Alpine Type S
3. Sony5 x 7
4. Pioneer 5 x 7
6. Kenwood 5 x 7

Possibly available, but definately in USA

7. Kickers, few models
8. Alpine Type R, few models
9. Polk few models
10. Infinity Kappa/Reference
11. Boston SL80

Now the Infinity series interest me, as does the SL80, which is a round 6.5" with a seperate tweeter in a 5 x 7 plate. "Supposed" to be great quality too.

Wondered what people have found, in performance, price and availability.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 04:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: 5x7 speaker opinions

I have the JBL GTOs in the front of my BA, they did certainly make a very healthy improvement to the system. I wouldn't say that it was superb, but I'm pretty happy overall.
Splits would be better, using a tweeter up higher, but if you are after a hassle free solution then the JBLs are good. BAs have the same doors as the AU and they drop straight in with zero modifications.
Builty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 14:45   #3 (permalink)

Re: 5x7 speaker opinions

I would have to suggest the "Fusion 5x7" splits.

It comprises a 5x7 mid range and a 25mm tweeter as well as splitters etc for $325 (a couple of years ago now)

Pretty expensive, but exceptional quality, looks nice, sounds shit hot, and when it comes down to it, components are always going to be better than 2-ways or 3-ways etc.

Panda
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security