Aerial and Stereo Wiring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2003, 00:28   #1 (permalink)

confused Aerial and Stereo Wiring

I have an EBII Fairmont. At some point, somebody has popped a little Pioneer CD Player in it, together with a small amp. The wiring is pretty shocking, running form the centre console, underneath the passenger seat, where the little amp is just sitting loose, then disappearing beneath the left hand sill trim - the wires can be seen - tsk tsk!

Anyhow...does anyone know much about the wiring in these things? The reason I ask, is that the aerial doesn't work. I think they're a two stage thing yes? I originally thought the aerial may be simply stuffed - but the other day a dirty battery terminal caused the electrics to go a bit funny, and the aerial was clicking when the ignition was turned on. Inspection of the stereo wiring revealed that the control may not even be connected.

The original plug has not been used for the replacement stereo...but a couple of wires have been cut from it. My question is, which terminal runs the control wire...or what colour is the wire itself? I did some probing, but only succeeded in blowing a fuse on the cd-players control wire (oops!...bought another few just in case!). I have noted the wires coming from the hole in the firewall (where the aerial lead connects) - but can't find any wires that look similar in behind the stereo (I assume these wires run straight to the aerial switch in the dash).

Hope someone can help here.

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 00:48   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I thought electrical aerials use the accesories wire from the head unit. That would be the one that is now being used to turn the amp on. Blue would be my guess at the colour.

I have a Pioneer Deck & CD Stacker in my ED.
I used connectors from these guys to plug into the factory harness. Available at Repco, Strathfields, AutoPro etc.
Makes it all nice and neat and easy to convert back to standard.

www.aerpro.com.au
Old 02-05-2003, 01:21   #3 (permalink)
TOC TAS Secretary

if you look for a red wire with a blue trace on it in the ford factory loom, this is the wire to connect to the head units power antenna output.
The wires from the antenna its self go staight to the central controller and then to the head unit. the switch tells the central controller what height to have the antenna at.

Hope this helps.

Tim

"Pressing your F1 key will not put you on the RACE TRACK"
EDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 14:57   #4 (permalink)

Ahaa...thanks for that Tim. I will probe the red with blue trace and see if that works.

The person who installed it hasn't bothered I think. The control wire from the head unit has two connections - one has been used for the amp and the other has been left unused.

By the way...anyone know if the black grommets that go over the aerial hole can be bought from Ford or some such thing? Someone has pulled mine out - so the aerial just comes up through a bare hole in the panel - looks a little...well, bare.

Damien
Old 02-06-2003, 02:19   #5 (permalink)

Great...hooked up the red'n'blue wire...aerial works nicely. Noisy bugger though!

Good radios in these Pioneer head units though. I can receive Brisbane JJJ loud and clear - it was all fuzzy on the Kenwood in my last car.

Damien
Old 02-06-2003, 03:18   #6 (permalink)
TOC TAS Secretary

thats great. good to see that it was only the wire not connected.
as for those rubber grommets i think ford dealers sell them.

"Pressing your F1 key will not put you on the RACE TRACK"
EDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security