Alarm Backup Battery - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2004, 18:33   #1 (permalink)

Alarm Backup Battery

Has anyone replaced the backup (siren) battery in an EF/EL before? I've been getting the fault codes recently and decided to rip the siren apart today and in light of what i found i'm not a happy chappy. The battery it soldered onto the board and also glued onto it as well. How or who the hell can replace it??
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: Alarm Backup Battery

It wouldnt be a factory item, EF/EL's didnt come out with sirens.
You should be able to pick up a battery backup siren from any car alarm place and install it, there are only three wires that need to be connected, positive supply, ground and trigger.
Sirens should be less than $30.
Old 11-01-2004, 21:55   #3 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure it is a standard alarm because i specifically asked for a factory vision alarm that could use the standard keypad. It even has the Ford logo on the siren so it would be pretty safe to assume that it is. Basically what your saying is that the backup battery is irreplacable and that i need a new siren... lovely.
Old 11-01-2004, 22:32   #4 (permalink)
Hanging Around

if it is a vision alarm, then it will be an aftermarket upgrade (Im not aware of ford doing a factory upgrade)
In any case the siren should be replaceable with another aftermarket one, Either that, or the existing batteries can be desoldered off the PCB and replaced, the glue should be very easily seperated from the battery / batteries.
How many wires and what colours are they to the siren, if it's a standard type siren you should have something like red, black, green, orange, white and pink.
Do you have a camera so that you can post a pic of your siren to give me more of an idea on the type?
Old 11-02-2004, 01:43   #5 (permalink)

Not too sure about the aftermarket upgrade. All i said to Herrod was a factory ford alarm that could be operated from the standard key fob. The siren has the Ford badge the manual is written by Ford so i'm assuming its a factory endorsed product..
Anyhows, there are six wires going into a connector which plugs straight into the siren with the colours you've mentioned. I should be able to take the siren to a battery shop and have it replaced i hope...
Old 11-02-2004, 04:37   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Yeah, either way take the siren in and get the batteries replaced, or you can put a new siren on, and just cut the existing plug off the wiring, and splice the existing wiring it into the new siren's harness.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:43   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

You can buy the required rechargable batteries with solder tags already on the battery (also called tagged batteries) at Jaycar and Altronics. Don't try soldering tags onto a normal battery,; the solder doesn't easilt take and the heat is no good for the battery). See http://www.altronics.com.au andhttp://www1.jaycar.com.au
In fact change to NiMh batteries (assuming they are now Ni Cd now) and to higher amp hour batteries while you are at it. They are usually glued in with hot melt glue which is easy to remove and replace. If you don't like solder tags or soldering, also buy a suitable battery holder from Jaycar, Altronics or Dick Smith's and have it soldered in place this time. eg http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=prod&grp=187
Old 11-02-2004, 06:56   #8 (permalink)

The alarms made by Vision were available as an option, dealer fit or over-the-counter accessory kit from EA on (actually, I believe they still supply Ford even for the BA alarms). And yes, they did have a Ford decal on the case. Their big attraction from the introduction of Smartlock on EBII's was the integration with the car wiring, to allow use of the standard car keypad for disarming when unlocking the car, saving the need for a separate remote as with some other brands at the time.

When the batteries went flat on mine in my EB XR8 a few years back, I rang Vision, and they said that if I sent the unit to them, they would replace the batteries and do a functional test of the unit for around $40 (but I ended up selling the car before I got around to doing it).
BA GT #0909 - Manual, Citric Acid, Stripes, Sunroof, Premium sound, FPV Steering wheel and Mats.
GT 0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security