Ford Forums banner

Amp Problems

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SilverEA 
#1 ·
Just wondering if some of you knowledgable people would be so kind as to help with a recurring problem I have with my stereo.

What happens is that I'll be cruisin' along quite happily, listening to some tunes, when my groovy music will be suddenly replaced with a kind of squealing noise. This noise will continue for an unspecified amount of time until there is a 'pop' sound, at which point everything will return to normal.

It seems to happen whenever it wants, with no pattern to when it occurs.

I don't know a hell of a lot about car audio, but my first thought was that the amp was cooking, but it seems to do it at all different temperatures. Also, turning the head unit off seems to make no difference (the squealing stops, but then resumes if you turn on the head unit again).

Could something like a bad earth or voltage leak cause this?? Or is my amp stuffed??

Also, I'm using 8ga wire for my power and earth (for the amp), is this too small (the amp is 440W RMS)??? could this cause it???

Cheers,
Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds strange. Only thing I could suggest is your earth wire may not be fixed down like you have said. Although, I noticed when my amplifier had a bad earth connection it wouldn't work at all.

Now that I think about it - is the power wire running along side the speaker cable (from the head unit to the amplifier)? If so, may be you could try running the power wire on the opposite side of these wires to avoid interference...

But yeah, I don't know a great deal about car audio either :)

#3 ·
Sounds like the problem could be in your amp or rca leads. It sounds like just bad solder joints. I know of a place in melbourne where we deal with for car audio repaires for sony under warranty. The name of the place in collins electronics. Cant remember where they are tho! They are good at what they do, but dont know what they charge. Take your amp in for repair and you can ask them if it's that of not. Hope that helps....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.