Another Door pods question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2003, 17:50   #1 (permalink)
brenlam

Another Door pods question

Just about to start building some door pods. Ill be using this tutorial as my guide:

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/tut...20-%20Beginner's%20Guide&num=1335925&NewTuteAuthor=Vince%20Galati&NewTuteCategory=Fabrication%20/%20Installation

Ok now once I have built the pods how do i attach them to the doors? The stupid map pocket indent thing in my EA will make it difficult to attach them securely. Any ideas? I can screw through the trim into the door but the indent will make it uneven right? Also is there any point making the pods angled? It wouldnt be difficult to mount them flush with the door. Obviously angled will sound better but will it make that much difference?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2003, 18:03   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

The whole point of pods is bigger speakers in the doors, and also angle makes a difference, you want all the signal to arrive at a central point (i.e. drivers ears) and not the floor or centre console.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 18:06   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Oh and yes you just screw them in from behind the door trim so they are attached to the door trim, that way nice and clean and no screws showing, make the pod to hide the map pocket.

Dellboy999

Old 06-15-2003, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
brenlam

I am building pods to fit some 6" pioneers. Id put em in the doors but thay wont fit! I can attach them (hehe thanks to some tin snips) but when i try put the door trim back on the trim touchs the speaker and it wont fit on properly. ideally Id love to put them in the factory locations but they wont fit (were talkin an EA here stupid factory 4" holes) Unless anyone can give me a better suggestion i will make some pods. But it would be fantastic if I could fit the speakers into the factory location. Cheers

Any ideas
Old 06-15-2003, 22:10   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I have 5" splits in the front of my EA its a ghia and trim fitted no probs and managed to keep the plastic backing for the weather protection as well.

Whats the overall depth of the speaker that it has to sit so far forward (i am guess to clear the window) that the trim wont fit on properly.

There is a fair bit of clearance behind the trim.

Dellboy999

Old 06-15-2003, 22:14   #6 (permalink)
brenlam

Yeah i also had it on some 6 mil mdf so maybe that was the problem. Whatever the case the grill built into the trim touched the tweeter in the centre of the speaker. Depth wasnt the problem there was enough space
Old 06-15-2003, 22:20   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Oh you have tweeters in yours, i have splits so have seperare tweeters.

Dellboy999

Old 06-15-2003, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

remove the MDF and just use a bit of rubber for insulations if you are concerned, trim should fit then

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:43   #9 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

i cant help with you door pods cause i still havent done mine but i made surround sound in my car by mounting 2 speakers on the roof in the back and i used custom pods for that all i used was a bolt with a large washer inside the roof ive had them in there for 2 weeks and my roof still doesnt seem to sag so i guess i did it ok
and way ggod luck with the mounting of the door pods please tell me how you did it later so i know when i get to it on my ea

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Another way you can mount the door pods is too countersink some long thing bolts threw the front of the door pods and bog over the top of them so they dont spin when you tighten the nuts up. To get the holes lined up just put the pod over the door skin all lined up and drill through both at the same time so it all lines up.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security