Ford Forums banner

AU CD Stereo Replacement

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  NZ XR8 
#1 ·
Wonder if any of you can help me out. I have searched the forums for some info but no luck.

I want to replace my 6CD stereo in my AUII XR6. Have had nothing but trouble and fed up with getting it fixed - besides the in-dash ones are not user friendly.

1/ If I put in a new unit with a new, separate 6 CD changer, will the steering wheel control buttons work ?

2/ I remember a thread last year about a certain stereo (can't remember, think it was Sony) which was compatible.

3/ Also any info on upgrading the speakers (again, I remember a thread last year but can't seem to find it)

4/ And last question (!), the AUIIXR8 has little speakers on the front pillars. What are they exactly and are we able to have them put on at a Ford dealer's parts dept. ?

Any help here would be most appreciated.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
My experience when I asked similar questions at car stereo establishments. Keep in mind I only needed to improve the quality of the system on a minimum budget. The old story of you get what you pay for applies; if you have unlimited budget then anyhting is possible.

Steering wheel controls are not compatable with aftermarket units. One crowd said thay they could wire up a similar sort of control that involved re-alligning satellites, putting laser beams in and installing robotic creatures. I sort of lost track of what he was talking about after I asked for a ball-park cost. He mentioned a figure and I can distinctly remember seeing stars before my eyes, I had temporary loss of hearing from the rush of adrenalin and next thing everything went black for a minute or so.

Maybe there are compatable head units but no one ever mentioned it me - this is over the last 4 weeks or so by the way.

Speakers? Listen to them and buy what you like the sound of. If like the sound of a $50 set compared to a set for $400, buy the $50 set. You have to listen to them. My preference is for Pioneer and I found that the new 'polykevlar' (I think- distinctive yellow cone) 6 inch coaxials or Titanium splits suited me.

The 'little' speakers are the tweeter component of a 'splits' speaker setup. Keep away from you Ford dealer for stereo stuff. Expensive option for average quality stuff.

I installed the Pioneer Splits in the fron, left the rear parcel shelf 7x5's alone (may replace them with Boston 7x5's) and put a couple of 12inch subs in the back with a decent amplifier running the Pioneer and subs.. Standard head unit left in.

Not a competion winner but it sounds fine to me.

#4 ·
Greg did the new splits fit in the factory positions? ie depth of the
speaker dosent foul the window etc.... I am looking at replacing the front speakers as i think i killed the front passenger side. If your running an amp i take it that the stock head unit has an rca plug and power switch? i was hoping to upgrade my single cd with the 6cd in dash stacker from the au2?.

BTW i read in a magazine that you can purchase a unit that wired in with your aftermarket head unit can utilise the volume controls on your steering wheel (some steering wheel controls are infra red, the unit converts the code to allow it to operate the new unit) it was only just recently will try to chase it up.

#6 ·
Woot Woot!! what do I win? :beer2:

Ok, is it all Apline's, or only certain models? Do you need to buy anything extra, or does it just plug straight into the head unit (steering wheel control)? I'm pretty sure its another attacment you need to buy, so does anyone have a price (approx)?

#7 ·
nevermind - im sure both you and i am aware that the sheer feeling of being right is rewarding enough! :moon:

its an adapter thing that connects to all of the alpine head units that im aware of, the adapter is made by Stinger and is called a 'peswix'? which you can buy from an alpine car stereo dealer - not sure on price sorry.

#9 ·
Kiwi Falcon said:
Thanks for your help guys. I will go into a dealer and have a chat with them armed with this info. I'm sure they have had Falcon upgrades before. The Ford factory stereos are a pretty crap system considering how much they are.
Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

:ihi:

#10 ·
Will do.

I have a mate who is looking to do the same thing, but he has already bought a system without checking if it's compatible. I would have to get one that would work, as the wheel controls are excellent, not to mention a lot safer than fiddling around with the controls.

#11 ·
Interesting! Spoke to Alpine authorised stereo suppliers when I made my initial inquiries about this issue (mentioned above) as I like Alpine gear.

None of the Brisbane Alpine people had a compatible head unit that could be run by the existing controls on the steering wheel of an AU1 XR6. That is the reason that I retained the existing head unit - I was specifically after retaining the steering wheel control of the head unit.

I would like to know the exist make and model number of any head unit that can be run by the steering wheel controls?

In answer to the fitting of the 6inch speakers in the door - no problems just need to make up a spacer from MDF. The Pioneers require 31mm depth (from memory) no problems.

No RCA plug. Alpine (love their equipt) have a convertor (about ($50 if you know the right people) to give you the RCA connection from your head unit.

#13 ·
Made a couple of quick phone calls to a couple of Brisbane car stereo suppliers and still received the big NO for a compatable head-unit for the AU XR steering wheel stereo controls.

Offers of attaching lots of gadgets and devices and laser modules and satellite dishes and robots and stuff but no direct replacement for the existing factory head-unit.

Would really appreciate the make and model of this Alpine unit that can work with the steering wheel controls and who has one in stock.

:whoaa:

#14 ·
FalKeen & Nevermind.

You guys did a lot of congratulating each other on the Alpine Unit being compatable with the AU Steering wheel controls.

We are still waiting for the model number of this Alpine Unit!

#15 ·
Your search is over for a head unit. I remember reading in Performance Ford that Blaupunkt have a Miami-Beach headunit can have a AU interface to link up to the steering wheel controls. Check out this link on their site (http://www.blaupunkt.com.au/en-au/6_7.asp).
I'm going to upgrade my AU I CD unit as soon as it goes (again). Speakers becomes the only problem as I think ford use weird speaker sizes (5x7") and I don't want to cut any holes.

#16 ·
greg6099 said:
FalKeen & Nevermind.

You guys did a lot of congratulating each other on the Alpine Unit being compatable with the AU Steering wheel controls.

We are still waiting for the model number of this Alpine Unit!
ease up mate!
i was just relaying what i had heard previously on an older post

i have just done some searching for you and the post was made on the 11th of november last year by a guy called "xr08wa" - he has made posts recently so you will be able to get onto him - so PM him and see what he can tell you...

G
#17 ·
jbugeja said:
Your search is over for a head unit. I remember reading in Performance Ford that Blaupunkt have a Miami-Beach headunit can have a AU interface to link up to the steering wheel controls. Check out this link on their site (http://www.blaupunkt.com.au/en-au/6_7.asp).
I'm going to upgrade my AU I CD unit as soon as it goes (again). Speakers becomes the only problem as I think ford use weird speaker sizes (5x7") and I don't want to cut any holes.
Blaupunkt have a few models that are compatible with AU steering wheel controls (sorry don't know model). As for speakers for AU, Boston Acoustics have 'FS80' splits which bolts straight on, no mod's needed.

#18 ·
Is this the device some of you guys are talking about? http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/steering.asp (It's part of the Stinger company). Not sure if it would work with the AU's because as always, the site only shows compatibility with American cars not Australian ones. If this device does work, then according to the site, you can use all of the following headunits:

Alpine, Blaupunk, Clarion, Denon, Eclipse, JVC, Kenwood, Nakamichi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Rockford, Sony as well as other headunits that are equipped with wireless remote control.

Head units not supported: Sony CDXM770, CDXM620, CDXM670, CDXCA850C, CDXCA860X.

So has anyone used this device successfully with their AU steering wheel controls?

PS. Also found another site with a remarkably similar product but its called a SWI-X: http://www.go2pac.com/products/swi.htm

#19 ·
mangrovejack said:
Is this the device some of you guys are talking about? http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/steering.asp (It's part of the Stinger company). Not sure if it would work with the AU's because as always, the site only shows compatibility with American cars not Australian ones. If this device does work, then according to the site, you can use all of the following headunits:

Alpine, Blaupunk, Clarion, Denon, Eclipse, JVC, Kenwood, Nakamichi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Rockford, Sony as well as other headunits that are equipped with wireless remote control.

Head units not supported: Sony CDXM770, CDXM620, CDXM670, CDXCA850C, CDXCA860X.

So has anyone used this device successfully with their AU steering wheel controls?

PS. Also found another site with a remarkably similar product but its called a SWI-X: http://www.go2pac.com/products/swi.htm
Wow - these are interesting. Anyone have any experience with either unit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.