AU speaker upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2001, 03:07   #1 (permalink)

AU speaker upgrade

Just wondering if any one has fitted aftermarket 5"x7"'s to their car?? Are they worth buying, I have been told that there are only 2 brands that make them, JL Audio?? (I think that is the name), or Pioneer. Are they worth buying? Or is it better to muck around and put bigger speakers in?
Thanx in advance
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2001, 03:48   #2 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Mateeeeeeeee my favorite subject, upgrading the Factory Speakers in the AU..

You have a fairly big range now to choose from.

Alpine
Pioneer
Rockford Fosgate
Kenwood
JL Audio

These companies all make 5 x 7's...

My favorite's and the one's I have in my XR they are the Boston Acoustic's.. Splits in the Front (Using Premium Sound A Pillar Trims for Tweeters) and Two way coaxials in the rear.. They S hit all over the factory job's. I run mine off a Pioneer CD H/Unit which produces 22 watts RMS per channel and they are crystal clear even towards maximum volume..

If you need any info regarding upgrading just send me a PM and I will help you out....

Nipper.....
Old 11-22-2001, 03:51   #3 (permalink)

I got the same head unit as yours!! But just gotta do the speakers now
Old 11-22-2001, 03:57   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

I went through the Pioneer brochure I got from the Ricer Salon, and it doesn't have any 5"x7" mentioned?

Boston Acoustics make great home stereo speakers, so I'm not surprised their car stuff is good as well.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:58   #5 (permalink)

Sony does them as well...
5x7s should bolt straight on, but why not get something that will really rock? i'm talking 7x10s! :D

trust me, they are great! virtually, you don't need subs!
Old 11-22-2001, 11:34   #6 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR
I went through the Pioneer brochure I got from the Ricer Salon, and it doesn't have any 5"x7" mentioned?

Boston Acoustics make great home stereo speakers, so I'm not surprised their car stuff is good as well.
Venom XR, yeah your right mate, the Pioneer Brochure does not have them listed in the current issue. I'm fairly sure they are on the Pioneer Web site both Aus & US. The Pioneers are similar to the factory jobs, not much of an upgrade goinf that way..

The Boston's are really nice and you have a choice as far as your budget can stretch with their line up. From a couple of hundred dollars through to $ 1,000 on the top line splits.

AU_Guy, If you are running the Pioneer DEH - P8250 the same as mine you will find you will not need to amp your speakers up if you buy right. Don't go for something that needs heaps of power to drive them but make sure whatever you do get can be driven at around 15 wrms. You will have sweet sweet sound if you follow some simple rules..

PS.. If you are running that deck, what are you waiting for man??,, put the Sub in and control it from the front seat then you will get the full picture... (6 x 9's are no substitute for a sub)

Nipper........
Old 11-22-2001, 12:41   #7 (permalink)

I'm using the Boston Acoustic's 5x7 also. They really improve the sound range over the factory speakers.

On a releated matter, has anyone connected the factory steering wheel stereo controls to a 3rd party head unit?
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 14:27   #8 (permalink)

as far as i know, it can't be done unfortunatelly. that's the only thing i miss about the factory stereo. it was a great showoff! hehe
Old 11-22-2001, 14:44   #9 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by adviliax
as far as i know, it can't be done unfortunatelly. that's the only thing i miss about the factory stereo. it was a great showoff! hehe
One reason why I'd like to keep the premium head unit, while gradually upgrading the speakers/amp/sub.
Old 11-22-2001, 14:45   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR

One reason why I'd like to keep the premium head unit, while gradually upgrading the speakers/amp/sub.
What extra does the Premium offer over the standard Tuner/Tape/CD Changer control head?
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security