AU XLS ute, Speakers and Subs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2003, 03:17   #1 (permalink)
Hanging Around

AU XLS ute, Speakers and Subs

Hey all,

One of my mates just brought an AU XLS ute (supercab) , and wants better sound from the factory stereo.

I know the factory rear speakers are 5x7" and JBL have some that will fit, but has anyone managed to fit anything bigger like 6x9's in the back?

Also has anyone seen or put a sub in a ute.
Being a supercab, i think i may be able to make a custom box and fit a 10" sub in there, just behind the passenger seat.

Thanks
9psi EB
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 03:59   #2 (permalink)

not sure on 6x9 but they should be able to fit ,as for the sub there should be no problem fitting it in a custom bow as a 10 inch sub does not require a real big air volume
IAN SCHMIDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:32   #3 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

FYI: My un-tested, un-investigated, theoretical plans for subs in my ute.... :-)

Y'know in the back (supercab area) how there's a parcel shelf (ie. a hollow box section either side of the transmission tunnel to form a shelf). Well, under the carpet, I'm guessing this just consists of a hollow box either side of the transmission tunnel,. which could actually be re-built out of 16 or 19 mm MDF, forming two seperate sub-enclosures. Just shape the outside to the same as original so it still fits perfectly under the carpet. You could put a 6.5 sub in each side - ok, I know it's only 6.5, but you've got two of 'em and I've heard good reports of performance about the JL Audio 6.5" sub. Performs like a bigger sub apparently - reckon it'd have to be good enough for what I want anyway.

I estimated the volume you would achieve with these boxes and with a few interior baffles/struts etc. it'd be fine as a sealed box for those subs.

This would result in a totally stealth installation (eg. with subs mounted in the top and the outside end of each box - firing up - and with colour-coded grills - you'd never see 'em from outside or the passenger seat.) Plus, you wouldn't lose all your cargo space behind the seats - you'd only have to be careful not to put any objects directly on the grills.

Just a though (and future plan for me ;-)

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security