AU1 Fairmont Head Unit Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 17:54   #1 (permalink)
Byrnesie

AU1 Fairmont Head Unit Replacement

Hey guys
I have recently got an AU1 Fairmont with a 6 disc stacker in the back, and the tape-deck head unit in the front (i had memmories of those tape thinggys, it seems so god damn long ago ).

I am thinking of replacing the stock sound system with a new MP3 head deck (single din) that has an auxillary input, and later down the track (when $$$ provail) i will be putting in an in-dash LCD touch screen hooked up to a carPC so that i can do all my fancy shit like have my entire music collection in me car, watch dvds/divx movies and all that crap <insert wank factor here> . This will fill in the other din-sized gap in the dash.

My first question is, are there any decks out there for a reasonable price (im trying to keep it under $500) that will allow me to still use the controls on the steering wheel? I have grown quite fond of these 3 lil buttons and it would drive me insane not having them.

My second question is, do those lil buttons just have cables coming out that get joined together when you press them, or do they have a little signal line that gets a different signal sent down it depending on the button?

My third question is, does anyone have a pin-out diagram of the 2 molex connectors on the back of the unit?

THanks heaps guys
Matt
byrnesieAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 06:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: AU1 Fairmont Head Unit Replacement

first question - i think its clarion that make hus that are adaptable for au falcons and there steering wheel controls, otherwise, hunt down the products made by aerpro and u will find that they stock adapters that will allow you to use aftermarket hu (depending on brand) with the steering wheels controls..

2nd question, as far as i know those steering wheels buttons are on a small circuit board that. they operate on different ohm-ages which determine what signal the hu gets so are basially usless if u try and wire them up to another hu..

as for ur 3rd question.....cant help u sorry

laters, SQRL
SQRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security