AUII Premium Sound Problem - Lost CD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2003, 16:33   #1 (permalink)

AUII Premium Sound Problem - Lost CD

Recently purchased an AUII Fairmont Ghia which has the premium sound system (6 CD in-dash player). Put a CD in it on Saturday, loaded it as per the instructions (i.e. pressed LOAD button, waited for signal to insert CD). It took the CD, seemed to load correctly, then started making a horrible scraping noise (sounded like the CD was scraping against something as it was spinning) and no music from the speakers. Pressed the EJECT button, and the CD did not EJECT, but now the unit tells me there are no CD's in the unit. Argh! Is the unit easy to take apart to remove the stuck CD? Any suggestions on how I should attack this problem? Anything I can do to prevent it happening again, once I remove the stuck CD? Should I remove the unit myself, or take it to a Ford dealer? The car is no longer under warranty.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2003, 16:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: AUII Premium Sound Problem - Lost CD

Yep happened to me recently. Dealer replaced the entire unit (easier than disassembling the in dash stacker I guess)
No idea what caused it. CD was brand new, worked fine, then just as you said, constatnt scrapping as it tried to pick it up but it just couldnt.
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 17:33   #3 (permalink)

Hey Gekko,
I've had the same problem, my deck told me i had 5 CD's loaded so i put one more in, turns out that there was six & it put two on top of each other. I couldn't get them out so i took it to Ford (was under warranty then) They sent the deck to Melbourne & gave me a series III deck (no real difference) and about a day later my CD's came back from melbourne undamaged. A few months ago i had the same issue again with the new deck. This time i had no CD's in the stacker and i put one in. It started the scrapping noise & wouldn't play or eject. So i got a crapy CD and loaded it. It went in ok, then spat it out straight away. Then i pressed eject and the other CD came out, works fine since. I'm not saying it would work for you but it might. As for taking it to ford, that's up to you, do a search of the forum because this issue has been touched on before, i believe the CD can be removed by removing the top cover but don't quote me on that. Another thing too, don't think that the ford stackers are crap, it's a very common problem even with european cars simply because inidash stackers are new technology

Cheers,
Adrian
Old 10-26-2003, 21:29   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try the simple option of trying to feed another CD. If that doesn't work, I'll remove the unit and remove the CD manually. Hopefully it hasn't buggered up the head unit.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:04   #5 (permalink)
BSR

even if you get the cd out, make sure you get the unit exchanged cos it will happen again!! in all 3 of my XRs i had the unit changed numerous times!!
It is quite easy to get cds out once you have unit out of dash. Remove top cover and cds sit it a spring loaded mechanism.

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
BAD BSR BOY WITH THE LENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Yep happened to me recently. Dealer replaced the entire unit (easier than disassembling the in dash stacker I guess)
No idea what caused it. CD was brand new, worked fine, then just as you said, constatnt scrapping as it tried to pick it up but it just couldnt.
Isnt it just great how FORD has a good thing going , then they go and f,,k it up totally , eg the early prem sound systems,.

I had a prem sound sys in a NF fairlane then the (so called "equal prem sound sys in a AU ")AU came with the so called same ,and it was like comparing a mini to a bus, and they havent got close to what they used to have in 1998 (now its just cheap units with the same words printed on them. and one less unit , "the stacked itself"

I've repalced the later units in my AU ts50 with the original prem system from the 1998 models and haven't looked back since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r6.jpg (44.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC05542.JPG (42.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by wasa; 10-27-2003 at 07:31.
wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 13:41   #7 (permalink)

Tried AU2's advice, and it worked. I tried feeding a CD into the unit, and suddenly the unit "found" the lost CD and promptly ejected it. After close inspection of the offending CD, I found that it had quite a noticeable notch along the edge, as if something had cut into it with a knife. Could this be the cause of the problem? I inserted another CD, and I couldnt get the problem to occur again. I then inserted the original CD (the one with the notch in it), and sure enough, it got stuck again. I think these units must be very sensitive to damaged CD's, no matter how slight the damage.

I have to agree with WASA about the quality of the premium sound in the AU series. having been in an EF Ghia a number of times, I was quite impressed with the setup (considering it is a factory system). The AUII unit, on the other hand, was a little underwhelming. It's the sort of system I'd expect to find in a futura, not a fairmont ghia. Apart from the fact it has an in-dash CD stacker, it is a very ordinary deck.
Old 10-27-2003, 15:52   #8 (permalink)
"Bloody Beautiful"

I've done the same change as wasa in my AU TE50 and must agree with his comments about losing a good thing. The EL units would have to be one of the best factory systems going around.

Bit fiddly to get it mounted and wiring change required but you can make up a simple loom to ensure change back to original is simple when time to sell, as I will be keeping the EL premium deck.
------------------------------------------------
TE50 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security