BA Mobile phone wiring and such - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2002, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Read BA Mobile phone wiring and such

For all those that will be putting in a mobile phone hands free kit into your BA car will find like myself it is a very difficult thing to however with a bit of faith and strength of character I have managed to tuck wires away as best as I think a professional wirer could do plus learnt a few things about my car :)

Now, if you damage any of your trim work do not blame me and expect to pay a pretty penny to get a new piece. Also Ford has recalled/cancelled the mobile phone presenter and it doesn't look like it is terribly manual transmission friendly either.

I drive a manual too so it might be different to your auto's.

The trim around the transmission (dark grey metal look) is the first to be lifted. Under this piece is all the screws which secure the side trim into place. This trim is located in place by four press-to-location style plugs which can just be pulled out. The easiest way I found for this to happen is to grab the edge which is under the tissue/ash tray holder and pull upwards and towards the rear seat. It should come out easily. Then you need to get the back part out, open the cup holder and pull directly up with your fingers - NEVER EVER lever something that is plastic with a screwdriver - this is a bit tighter to get out but a bit of faith and it comes out. Make sure all the locators have their yellow plugs on them as that locks them in place, you will need to have a set of fine needle nose pilers to get them out of the holes if they came off.

to remove the trim which runs from the sides of the center console to 1/2 way up the ICC you need to remove one screw which is located on top, back near the fulcrum point of the hand brake. After this self tapping screw is out (all trim screws are self tappers so be careful and gentle!!!), lift the trim from the screw down point and slide it away from the ICC downwards towards the floor, should come out (there are little finger tabs on the bottom of this trim for locating - be careful again).

After removing both of these pieces of trim you can remove the tissue holder/power source. Again this is held in place either side by two self tappers. These are vertically located and fairly easy to manipulate. Remove the power source tissue holder tray and you can now find that you can see a hole/gap in the trim up the left of the ICC (behind where the power source is located).

There are 3 (maybe four) little self tappers which mainly hold the trim in places on the passenger side of the center console. Remove these and you can gain some flexibility in this trimwork to be able to get your cables from the ICC power source hole to the rear of the center console on the passenger side. You will need something stiff like about 1.2 metre length of fibreglass or stiff plastic. Failing that get a wire coathanger and cover the end with masking tape (to blunten it) and tape the wires to the tip of your probe and stuff them along inside the trim work.

onces the wires are in place put all the pieces of trim back to their normal place by the reverse order, however leave of the drivers side trim to the ICC off as it will give you better access to locate the phone holder and leave off the transmission trim.

I then screwed the metal L shaped bracket with two screws into the trim on the left of the ICC under the power source and resting on the passenger trim VERY STURDY! and out of the way so I can still use the power source and the tissues and the vacant space under it as well. As well the passenger and still access the audio (if you want them to) and the heater controls.

With the cables out the back I ran the coax for the antenna under the carpet in the foot well for hte passenger along the side under the trim/carpet and then up to the back window by being under the rubber seals/trim work - can't see the cable at all basically.

Then all the data/power/audio mute cables are now on the passenger side, however they have to get to the drivers side as that is where the power/audio mute wires are located (behind fuse box).

I am yet to find out what cables do what and I will take some photos of my handiwork if anyone would like.

However i'd be pretty sure you'd take a similar route to get the ICC apart to upgrade the radio ;-)

Just waiting for Sony or something to come out with a third party device for me to be able to put in places of the factory standard unit.\

Now anyone out there know how to improve the gain of the radio reception so I can get Stereo FM tuning in around the 'burbs of Melbourne?? Hmm can those little sharks fin antenna's that the BMW's and Saabs have be used for that sorta thing?? :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2002, 20:11   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

I've just been to the dealer and they have been told they don't have the information that I require and I should speak with the VACC or the someone like straithfield car radio - etc.

Hmmm Fair enough I guess but funny they don't have the information about the wiring pin outs.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 12-20-2002, 00:08   #3 (permalink)

Hehehehe, Yeah, its quite funny isnt it.

They screw the cars together, and also service them, but even the Ford Delears dont have the BA Manuals yet ????

I have been told that the workshop manuals will become publically available in march 2003.

As for the the wire colours, I have some of the AU wire colours for the Phone Plug thingie.

The Phone mute is Light Green
There are 2 other wires for the phone, but I have NFI what they are for.
These colours are
Light Blue/ Yellow -
Pink -

Sorry I cant be of any other help !

P.S. Good work ! Its good to see someone not afraid to tinker with their new Beast !
I would love to see pics of whats under there though !!!!

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyphoid
Hehehehe, Yeah, its quite funny isnt it.

They screw the cars together, and also service them, but even the Ford Delears dont have the BA Manuals yet ????

I have been told that the workshop manuals will become publically available in march 2003.

As for the the wire colours, I have some of the AU wire colours for the Phone Plug thingie.

The Phone mute is Light Green
There are 2 other wires for the phone, but I have NFI what they are for.
These colours are
Light Blue/ Yellow -
Pink -

Sorry I cant be of any other help !

P.S. Good work ! Its good to see someone not afraid to tinker with their new Beast !
I would love to see pics of whats under there though !!!!

Cheers
Matti
As far as I can tell all the cables have changed colours. From the AUII to the BA that is anyway. Also - the damn cables are fixed tight in behind fuse box, there is not a single way to bring them down to get easy acess... have to slight the seat all the way back and recline it and lie down on it with my head in the drivers foot well.

Yeah would most definately like to take some photos - just funny that its there will be minimal photos of my cabling unless I pull out all the trim work again :)

Photos of the inside would show about 2 inches exposed wire :) Shame its just taking to long to find the right info in regards to pin outs.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 12-21-2002, 03:04   #5 (permalink)

The fins on the Saab and BMWs are for the phone/Navigation systems.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:39   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Bugger!

Well wouldn't mind one for the phone anyway. Thanks for the heads up FTEfan.

Though, I did find at Autobarn, they have these little block AM/FM antenna's which connect to your existing system and are designed to be low profile/surface mount. Anyone had any experience with these? I know where to mount it. The interface convertor for the RADIO to window antenna appears to be behind the passenger C-Pillar trim (well there is coax going in and a wire going to the wires on the window.

Hmmm I wonder if I could get some kind of winding done on the front window (around the window in the seams) to get radio reception - as you aren't allowed to tint the front window :)

Either way i'm looking at some surface mount antenna's to gain reception. Any professional installers or people at work at places like autobarn that have ideas?

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 12-22-2002, 03:47   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Anyone know of the brand AERPRO ?

They are all over autobarns and such and do a lot of neon lights but do a lot of mobile phone accessories and radios. They have extra gain antenna's which could prove useful to BA owners wanting a metallic window tint - like myself.

I'm going to do some more research into these products - look the goods but the web site (www.aerpro.com) is low on tech info.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 12-23-2002, 02:08   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Well - i've done it.

Completely added my mobile phone car kit into my car without the need of the pinouts from ford (wonderful things a quality multimeter and some extension cables are :)

All that is visable is, apart from the microphone and the phone holder is about 3 inches of cables as they disappear under the trim work.

I'll take photos if anyone is really interested :)

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 12-23-2002, 02:18   #9 (permalink)

Schweeeeeeeet !
Welll done !

What were the wire colours, and their uses ?????

Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 13:52   #10 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Behind the fuse box are two cables. One which is blue and one which is white. The blue one takes four spade connectors and the white one takes two.

I only used the blue connector as I use the speaker that came with the nokia hands free kit (kit that matches the Nokia 6210/6310).

As the blue connector plug is firmly in place you can't pull on it to get a good look at the wires so I merely rigged up a multimeter and a fly lead with a spade connector on the end and tested the voltages between the fly lead and the ground on the 'power source' :)

For those that want to know, if you get voltage readings like the following this is what they mean.

~ +12Volts when the key is off, this is battery power
~+12Volts when the key is on accessories, this is accessories power
~+5.25volts in any location, this is the radio mute line. The radio mutes when this is dragged to ground.
0volts, notice no approximation, this is chassis ground.
~0.2 volts this is accessories when the key is off
~14.4volts this is when the car is running, could be battery or accessories power.

Any negatives and you have your multimeter set up wrong :)

Took me all of about 5 minutes to work out the pin outs with the right equipment. Though it took about 45 minutes to route the cables so they were out of the way! :) Lotsa cable ties and lots of me with my head in the footwell and my feet on the seat :)

Though I will try and take a photo of the plug and the nokia colour cables as well to help out :) Gotta borrow a friends digital camera :)

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security

Related Reading: BA Mobile phone wiring and such