BA Premium Sound - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 04:53   #1 (permalink)

BA Premium Sound

I just purchased a new XR6 with a few extras - the main one i was after being Premium Sound - since it's not possible to change the stereo as easily as it use to be.
My question is...does anyone know the specs? I know that there are 6 speakers, plus a sub hidden in the back... but i cannot find any info about the output of the speakers and the head unit. I've read that the sub is 150w, with a dedicated 150w amp (assuming 'dedicated' means that the amp is only hooked up for the sub woofer).
i'll have to have a closer look, but i assume the sub is also hidden under the lining in the boot, with the sub.
My next question, or rather, observation, is that for a 'premium' system, i am extremely dissapointed - it sounds weak. The speakers really lack a sense of power, and seem to over rely on the sub to give any bass at all. The sound is too high in the mid department, and the fact that the only options we really have to adjust are bass and treble, is damn near insulting for anyone who knows anything about sound at all. Okay, there's no EQ, but there isn't even a selection of presets in place of an equalizer - such as rock, pop etc.
Sure, if you listen to Dance / Club music the bass sounds good, but i have to crank the bass to the max when listening to rock music, and even then it stilll sounds very weak and like a standard base level stereo.
Has anyone else had these same complaints? Or does it sound like i haven't actually been supplied with a 'Premium Sound' system? (To me Premium SOUND does not mean a slightly larger slightly coloured screen with a 6 disc stacker).
Otherwise,i love my new XR6!
PTXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2004, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Re: BA Premium Sound

Hi dude. Im a bit confused. Have you got a sub or not? Or did you mean to ask if the amp is hidden?

I have premium audio. I have tweeters on the bottom of the front pillar, mid range on the front doors, two rear speakers and the sub in between them where the brake light is. I dunno where the amp is.

I cant say Im an expert but I thought premium sound sounded pretty good actually. Ive heard regular audio and mine and there is a fair bit of difference, although I guess premium audio is not a huge system as far as really good aftermarket ones go. However, my bass is pretty decent and its pretty damned loud and doesnt distort until its way beyond listenable.

Im not sure you got premium audio at all actually, Im wondering if you got prestige audio or something, which is the 6 stacker. Im not sure about the colour screen. Im not real clear if you got a sub.

There are others on here who probably know more about it than I do. Oh, and I have settings on mine for hall, studio and stuff like that. And a few other features I cant remember.

Hope this helps.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:37   #3 (permalink)

To me it sounds like you've got prestige sound, which is basically the standard sound with a 6 stacker... i think rated at 100 or 150w

Premium sound has the colour screen, six stacker and a sub on the parcel shelf which you cant miss, its in the middle near the high level brake light... rated at a total of 250 or 300 cant quite remember.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 08:04   #4 (permalink)
Curry in a hurry.

If you have the colour screen wouldn't that mean he has the premium sound.
Thats one of the main reasons I didn't opt for the premium sound with my car as I knew I wouldn't be happy with the sound quality of the system. What I ended up doing is spending the money I saved on not going to the premium sound on aftermarket stereo gear. I changed the front speakers to some good quality splits added a amp and some subs and basically im really happy with it now except for some engine whine coming through the speakers at low volume which is annoying me.
What id do is just change the fronts and add a amp and if your not happy with the bass output a bigger sub.
gabbs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:08   #5 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbs19
If you have the colour screen wouldn't that mean he has the premium sound.
Thats one of the main reasons I didn't opt for the premium sound with my car as I knew I wouldn't be happy with the sound quality of the system. What I ended up doing is spending the money I saved on not going to the premium sound on aftermarket stereo gear. I changed the front speakers to some good quality splits added a amp and some subs and basically im really happy with it now except for some engine whine coming through the speakers at low volume which is annoying me.
What id do is just change the fronts and add a amp and if your not happy with the bass output a bigger sub.
Yep, Ive been doing some checking. Colour TFT screen only with premium audio, prestige is just the regular sound plus six stacker.

Well maybe Im just not that fussy coz I find premium audio to be pretty good. Oh well.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 15:28   #6 (permalink)

my bro has premium sound in his xr6 and I have just prestige sound in my xt...

I find the sound in the XT very good... We both agree that we can't tell the difference between the systems sound wise.. but I would still have gone the premium sound if possible for the colour screen.
wakeboardandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 15:33   #7 (permalink)

Question on the side, Does prestige sound in the XR's have the small screen with 6 stacker (what a dealer was telling me), or is it a large, but not color screen (what I originally thought) ?
FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 17:39   #8 (permalink)

i would say it would be the same as the xt... same as standard except for a 6 cd stacker.
wakeboardandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Yeh it has the same size screen, unless you get a Fairmont or a GTP which have climate control, they get a larger Monochrome screen the same size as the premium sound.
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:12   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, i'm sure it is premium sound i have - just thought it would be more impressive.
The monitor is colour (well, a couple of colours anyways!).
Did someone mention that the front door speakers are only for mids? (rather than being a two or three way speaker)???
If so, then that is what i don't like - i wish i could pull some of the mid out of the sound - too much mid!!!!
They at least should have control of the BASS TREBLE and MIDS, if nothing else.
But you're right - it doesn't sound too bad once you're used to it...just if you listen to a lot of metal and rock stuff with lots of guitar in it - it just doesn't have much power in the music, except for the sub which only really seems to enhance the bass drums.
PTXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security