BA Premium Sound System information - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 21:06   #1 (permalink)

Question BA Premium Sound System information

Hi Guys

I've been reading up heaps about the premium sound systems in the BA's on this site. As like many others I own a nice envy coloured xr6 which i'm looking at not replacing the head unit but in fact replacing the factory speakers and amp to get a bigger sound out of it.

The standard sub (8" i believe) I'm looking at replacing with a 12" sub in an enclosure, I'm also toying with the idea of replacing the fronts with 5x7 alpine splits and 5x7 alpine 2 ways for the parcel shelf. And on top of that replacing the current amp that's in the boot.

I'm going to take it to my mate at Performance Car Audio to have a look at, although he'll probably tell me a shouldn't have bought a Ford he will also give me the best advice on what I can and can't do!

I suppose I have a few questions...
I have found the amp located in the liner on the inside of the boot, it's on the fuel pipe side. It's got Sanyo listed as the brand and i'm under the impression it's a 150w amp.
Question 1. Does anyone know if this amp is supplied by rca level inputs??? I know it's not RCA plugs (its a DIN plug of some sort).
Question 2. Does anyone know what speakers it supplies to? It is all speakers including the sub?
Question 3. Has anyone already done what I'm proposing to do? If so I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts, problems you've come accross etc.

Good luck to those doing this! It isn't an easy task but i'm sure if done right would be extremely rewarding (and annoying for the neighbours!!!)
eldavovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 02:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA Premium Sound System information

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavovich
...replacing the fronts with 5x7 alpine splits and 5x7 alpine 2 ways for the parcel shelf...
great idea, that will improve the sound quality heaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavovich
...Has anyone already done what I'm proposing to do...
Hell yes, heaps of people have done it. The biggest problem seems to be sound quality. Because the original head unit is not changed for one with better quality output, when you amplify it, the sound quality is not as good as it would be with an aftermarket head unit.

Also, you have to use line level converters to feed the aftermarket amps, which is prone to interference (alternator whine etc). Make sure to upgrade the 'noise filter' coming off the alternator.

Many other problems, but I reckon it's worth it to keep the ICC stock.

Panda
Old 05-09-2005, 20:10   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply champ... In my BA there is an amp in the boot which has a whole bunch of cables running in and out of it. Do you reckon that some of these wires could be used to hook into a new amp without the need for line level convertors???

I'm thinking maybe i'll take it to a guy that installed a kick ass system in my last car (a lancer unfortunately!). He seems to be quite good and is a qualified auto elec as well. I only have to put up with him bagging me for buying a ford as he is a holden fan!!!
eldavovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:07   #4 (permalink)

I have changed all my gear in my BA and like panda said, it is the sound quality you need to worry about. The amp in the boot supplies only the subwoofer. it is an inbetween voltage of rca and line level. I have tried to use the feed from it ages ago, but something wasn't quite right. the subwoofer levels got lower and lower and eventually some smelt burning. not sure where it came from but it scared the shit out of me.
At this stage i run my speaker line out into stinger line to rca converters with the volume control on the converter. The volume part is a must so make sure you buy the more expensive ones the first time round.
The fronts go to the first amp after being converted as above.
The rears go to an equalizer after being converted as above.
The equalizer has rear on subwoofer out. The equalizer also doubles as a preamp to allow volume controls out to the second amp. This help when splitting the channel in two. when you split a channel you are also halving the voltage to each input on the amp. thus having to turn the amp up louder which then causes more whining and decreases sound quality.

I run kicker amps with all stinger filters, plugs, cables etc and a cadence capacitor. I still get the whining noise come thru but i have many more avenues to test before i get it 100%

I believe the soundstream amps are excelent in the BA but not easily accessible in australia. and are twice the price of the kicker amps i purchased. i would get them if i had my time again and they were available in oz. Check them out and see if you can get them now. its been a while since i last looked. i might have some pics somewhere that i can post. i'll have a hunt around.

hope that is of some use to you.
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security