Ford Forums banner

BASS OR BEN PLEASE ADVICE ON THIS SUB/AMP COMBO

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  rmyers1 
G
#1 ·
i was going through previous posts and noticed that you's know a fair bit on sub woofers and amps.

now i want a good set up subs to power my EF, i mainly listen to rap and dance/techno music.

and i can get jaycar equipment at wholesale prices. I know they are not on the level with MTX/FUSION/RF but they are ment to be alright.

anyway i was thinking of having two 12" double magnet jaycar response subs powered but a response 4 x 100w amp.

the basic specs for the subs are:
Power: 250watt RMS
Nom impendance : 4ohms
sensitivity : 86.66dB 1 watt 1 mtr (Ref)
-3dB Frequency (Hz) : 41

and the amp:

variable crossover from 40 - 120Hz at 12dB/oct
power bridged @ 4 ohms : 300WRMS x 2
frequency response : 10Hz to 30Hz +/- dB

i can get the subs for $220 each and the amp $320, and even though the subs are rated at 250WRMS does it matter if you feed 300WRMS into them?

now from your knowledge would this be a good buy??

or would i be better off getting say a $400 15" MA sub and good amp to power it?

my budget is strickly about $750

#2 ·
Hey how ya doing.

I have heard quite a few good reviews on how good the Dual Magnet Jaycars do, especially considering there price.

The amp seem to be a good match for the subs, and this was probably the intention of the designers in the first place.

I personally prefer to supply subs with more then there stated rms, simply because the amp my not always be as efficient under different circumstances.

At the last Car Audio Australia club meet, I did a dB test on the Total Recoil car. He had a single 12", 250WRMS hooked up to a 1400WRMS PPI amp. He managed slightly over 147 dB, which is absolutely huge for a single 12, too bad he fried his sub on the second run. Anyhow, he exceeded the power rating of the sub and got some good results, well for a few seconds anyway.

To answer your question, in my opinion, I would say that the setup you have chosen seems to be pretty well matched up, and has a reasonable price tag as well.

Good Luck.

#3 ·
shit bass, what brand was the sub? thats ****ing nuts!

as for the choice of amp, i would go for 2 of the jaycar 2x150s. a guy on caa has them hooked up to his dual coil jaycars and seems to get good results. also, the 2x100 jaycar (which is 1/2 of the 4x100!), which i have 2 of, isnt an overly gutsy amp - the 2x150s are much better - especially for subs.

the only thing is you wont be able to run the amps bridged because of the dual 4 ohm coils of the jaycar.

#4 ·
i listen to the same type of music and use jaycar stuff, the best setup i found was 4 8inch 120wrms subs connected to a 2x150w amp. it has a nice sharp punchy bass like at the nightclubs kind of thing instead of the low rumble shake the car to bits type in the larger ones. it saounds great.
what i did was pair them up, connect them in paralell and run them off each channel, so its running at 230wrms into 2 ohms. the speakers havnt blown up so it seems ok.

G
#6 ·
need bass

na i'm not really after punchy, i want the car to shake!! one night when i was cruzing round the streets of perth i pulled up at the lights next to this low white vr, and i cranked up my stereo and so did he, I COULD FEEL HIS BASS ALL THROUGH MY SEAT!! he must of had like 2 x 1000W 15" subs or something but i have never seen anything so loud and thats what i'm after. obcourse not that powerful. I might get the 4 x 100 and the two doublemagnet 12's like BASS suggested. hopefully they are gonna pump bloody loudly, only thing is that they are sealed enclosure subs so i don't know if that works well with rap/techno

G
#7 ·
Re: need bass

I once had a 18" sub just behind the back seats. That pumped out some bass but I wouldn't recomend 18" because there to big to hard to power and they GET STOLEN EASY...

#9 ·
Re: need bass

ah well that double magnet sub will certainly shake.
i was in jaycar a month ago and they had one on display, he cranked it up so i could hear what its like, it shook everything and i could feel it hitting my stomach. he told me he cant turn it up all the way anymore because last time they did it cracked their front window. definately a good sub. im not sure how much power they were suplying it with though

G
#10 ·
Jaycar

This doesn't answer your question in any way holdenh8r,
but me and my mate just toasted a pair of 12 inch Jaycar subs and pretty much killed a 12 inch earthquake magma for fun today. Ever seen what a sub looks like working under water? We ran 1500wrms into a 50wrms sub, talk about clipping! We ended up blowing his $800 alpine amp, awesome sight!

we have too much time and money on our hands, we need lives!

G
#13 ·
re subs

Hey, looking for some advice also. I'm looking into getting a 12" JL Audio Twin Voice Coil sub, not sure of the power/specs, and a 2 channel kenwood amp, bridged to give 300wrms. Anyone reckon this will sound anygood.?
Thanks for any replys.

#14 ·
Re: re subs

Hey there. For the price the Jaycar gear would be a pretty good choice. However, it sounds as though you want loud car shaking bass more than anything. The Jaycar double magnet subs are more renowned for their sound quality rather than outright loudness (SPL). They are also a pretty in-efficient subwoofer, meaning it takes a lot of power to get them moving. When your on a budget it makes more sense to buy large (15"), efficient subs for big bass. Maybe check out JL Audio W0's, MTX Thunder 3000's or even the Total Recoil brand that Bass_Crazy suggested. Even though these are the lower end subs they are still very well made and sound good too. You should be able to pick up the 15" version of these subs for a similar price to the Jaycars.

Then you can run 300WRMS to each sub from the 4X100 Jaycar amp and this setup will get heaps louder than the Jaycar subs. As for the box, there are many possibilities but for the loudest setup in an EF (and also least boot space) build a ported box with the subs and ports facing backwards into the tailgate. Alternatively you could do the same but face the subs and ports upwards into the boot allowing 200mm clearance between the top of the box and the boot lid. If you want some more box suggestions that are a bit more practical, just ask.

G
#15 ·
sean

Hey man, you obviously looking at getting JL W3's. 300wrms WILL NOT power both of them very well, as they take 250wrms each. I suggest you get one big amp, at least 500wrms, or if your on a budget, get two JL W0's (single voice coil) and run it off a smaller amp.

G
#16 ·
re

rmyers1, I'm only looking at getting one JL Audio sub, and by the sounds of it a 300wrms amp should power a 250wrms sub well. Is $450 a reasonable price for this speaker.
Thanks a lot.
Sean

G
#17 ·
sorry

Sorry man, I read your post wrong, I thought you wanted two!

Yeah 300wrms is perfect, but $450 is a bit pricy. You could probably talk them down to around $350 if you get the amp at the same time. My mate managed to get 2 for $500 brand new from JB hi fi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.