Capacitors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2004, 16:23   #1 (permalink)

Capacitors

What are some good brands of capacitors & when would you need to use one? Do Pioneer make one?

Nathan
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2004, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Re: Capacitors

I know Stinger make some of the best capacitors going , thats why I bought a nice one a year or so ago... I didn't end up using it though, but rymers has it in his EA and from what I've heard it has made a massive difference.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

Stinger, got one in the xf and it made a diifferemce.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

sorry for the car audio novice, what do capacitors actually do, ive heard alot about them, but never had it explained, or be bothered to ask
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:09   #5 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

They store a lot of charge and can deliver it to your amp very quickly, they are stored very close to your amp. When you turn on your stereo the capacitor charges up. When you have big bass music it ensures that there is always plenty of power available to be drawn, whereas there may be problem drawing so much power very quickly from trusty old car battery.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Whats traction?

A word of warning on the big 1+ farrad capacitors... If you wire them in backwards you'll blow a hole the size of a football in the side of your car. So be careful!

They do work and make a big difference, the bigger your sub/amp the bigger the difference. But for the huge cost a dry cell battery can be just as good and more useful.
Old 01-12-2004, 18:42   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Quote:
A word of warning on the big 1+ farrad capacitors... If you wire them in backwards you'll blow a hole the size of a football in the side of your car. So be careful!
I have seen a very small 12 volt capacitor go bang like a gun shot going off and make a mess, would hate to see a big one go off !!

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 20:32   #8 (permalink)

Capacitors are somewhat of a bandaid fix on normal (re; not competition SPL systems). Basically they're a fast releasing power storage device.

In a perfect world they hold power and release it to the amplifiers when the going gets tough (electrically speaking).

But in reality for the amount you'll pay for a power cap it is much wiser to get a new gell-cell battery and alternator upgrade. :)
Fhrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

For me my cap made a big difference as at the time my electrical system wasn;t really upto scratch. I agree that money can be better spent making sure your electrical system is sufficeint. A cap is a quick fix, upgrading to a dry/gel cell and making sure all earths have proper contact should be done aswell...
Old 01-13-2004, 21:06   #10 (permalink)

"Capacitors are somewhat of a bandaid fix on normal (re; not competition SPL systems). Basically they're a fast releasing power storage device."

As Marty said they are a bandaid fix. Your much better off upgrading your battery/cables/alternator.

Also, if your using one in SPL, get rid of it! In SPL your worst enemy is voltage loss, once the capacitor releases all its power, then it tries to recharge off the battery...not good for SPL.
Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security