CAr Audio Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 06:07   #1 (permalink)
jjj

roll CAr Audio Question

Okay i just got a 4ch Amp and 2*12in woofers with enclosure(2nd hand). My cd head unit is a pioneer 4*45Watts and only 2channel. My question is do i just connect up the RCA leads between head unit and Amp and then connect the left front, left rear speaker and left woofer to the left output and the same for the right side. Will this work or do i need to do something else. Will my front speakers blow up because of the amp (still factory ones)????? I don't really want to spend much money and i got a 200w amp wiring kit from supercheap.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2003, 07:53   #2 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

My suggestion is to leave your existing speakers connected to the head unit as they are, and leave your amp just for your subs. Connect the RCA leads to the rear output on your headunit, and at the other end have a 2 x RCA plug to 1 x RCA socket lead (click here), one each for left and right channels, and hook them up into the left and right channels of your amp.

Use the 4 channel amp as a 2 channel amp for your subs by bridging the left channel for the left sub, and bridging the right channel for the right sub. Adjust the settings to suit and away you go.

Hope this made sense...

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 15:13   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I just had a BILLIANT idea :oo1: How bout You and Steven make a set of guidelines for seting up basic things like this on the web site?
Old 06-09-2003, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
jjj

I had another look at the amp and each 2 channels (1,2 & 3,4) have there own gain control and LPF and HPF. If I bridged the amp would these be used as channel 1 control and channel 2 control. So if i was to just connect to 2channels of the 4channel would it output the full power of the amp or only half. If I bridged the 4ch to 2ch what screw terminals would i use as there is a (pos) and (neg) for each channel. Would i have to strap the outputs on the amp left (ch1 and ch3) and right (ch2 and ch4) so as to make 2pos and 2 neg outputs. At the moment i am a bit lost??

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
Old 06-09-2003, 15:55   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Firstly, when using a 4 channel amp as a 2 channel for left and right, set both channels EXACTLY the same. If you use just 2 channels of the 4 channel amp, then as far as I know you are only using half the power. But if you bridge channels 1 & 2, and bridge 3 & 4, you'll be using full power. Around the terminals it should indicate which positive and which negative to bridge. If not, then I think it is the 2 furthest apart terminals, negative and positive of course.

So basically, bridge 1&2, and bridge 3&4.

Alex

P.S. Karl, I have been thinking of this, and I'll get onto Steven about it.
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 18:11   #6 (permalink)
jjj

yep i understand now, but for the moment i will give the 2channels ago because i live out in a country town and there are no electronics stores. If it pumps all right then i'll leave it, but if it doesn't I'll try your method. The last bloke who had them had the subs bridged inside the box and had them feeding out of channel 3 on (mono) and his car would rock so i'm thinking it must have 200W per channel as each sub is a (12in*Audiovox 200w) and the amplifier is a Phillips 4040 model.

1 Owner vehicle,
78000km's on the clock (12-1-05),
Showroom condition with all the fairmont goodies,
Metallic Silver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security