Ford Forums banner

Door speakers...Need quick and simple answer

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  galapogos01 
#1 ·
I need to know if 6" speakers fit into the EA front doors without probs or what modifications are needed if applicable. I just need a quick and simple answer as I need to tell my sister whether to get me 6" or 4" speakers for xmas :cool:

#4 ·
I've got 6.5" speakers in my doors, but it requires a little bit of cutting to make 'em fit. It's surprisingly easy to do. I just used a jigsaw.

The biggest thing you gotta be careful of is the speaker depth... my speakers have about 1" between the window and the magnet on the speaker... but i've heard of some people's speakers going MUCH closer than that!

Hope this helps.

Dave

#7 ·
Anything eb s2 or after can fit 6" speakers. before that they were 4" holes in the front doors.
I had the same trouble with my ghia. I have 4" pioneers in there and they go alright.
Get 4's for the doors, 6's for the parcel shelf and a sub and your system will be sweet.

#10 ·
On a slightly differen tack...

I'm wondering why there aren't more small speakers in car audio. Just looking through a catalogue, which advertises subs up to 15" in size! There are many small speaker systems (with big sound!) available in home audio these days...surely this technology is being transferred to the car audio market in some fashion! Isn't it feasable to design some sort of effective sub box that might be squeezed under a seat?

To my way of thinking a well designed pair of 4" speakers should be able to produce a credible sound - particularly with some sort of ported sub enclosure hidden away somewhere else in the vehicle (Sure, the drivers may need to have a longer throw - but surely good design can account for this and eliminate the extra depth required). The Boston Acoustics hooked up to my home computer produce a better sound than the home stereos most of my friends own - and they're tiny, with a sub enclosure that's less than 40cm long. Such speakers would be perfect to replace those commonly shipped with new vehicles!

That's my rant.

Damien

#11 ·
i hate driver subs such as computer speakers and home theater systems!!!!

yes, they do sound great for movies and pop and simple music. most will sound horrible when you play a bass cd or something on them. i dunno whether they actually generate a higher frequency than they are supposed to, but it sounds that way.

great sound systems still tend to use 'true' subs if i'm not mistaken. smaller the sub, the punchier. bigger the sub, the boomier. generally, but many other properties.

i would be happy with a single 12" for my EA, but have much higher priorities. i would show my door pods for my 5 1/4" coaxials (given to me to finally replace the factory 4"s), but no digi cam! they replace the screw on door pockets on the trims that came from an ED Futura, but still have part of the pocket remaining.

G
#13 ·
I found 4" speakers in the front door absolutely F$ck the sound quality of your music up, because the 4" produce mainly treble and because it's so close to the front it drowns out all the mid range from your back ones etc so all you hear is treble and bass(from subwoofer)

I've been wondering why my stereo system which cost me around $1500 doesn't sound it's monies worth, and the front 4" were the cause. I'll be ripping the JBL's out and throwing some 6" split speakers in the front some time in the future.

#14 ·
JCV8 you are you funny. ha, ha, ha (sarcastic laugh)

i would love to put 6" splits in their, even 5.25" (better?) splits, just to get the better imaging, but these are still far better than the factory speakers

just in curiosity, what sorta cost you think i'd be looking at for a decent 12" sub and amp? just an estimate. i would love more bass! bass! bass! :)

sucks when ya friends have for example 2 15"s in a pulsar, yet i have no subs in the falcon. makes my stereo feel shit when i get back in my car

#16 ·
phreeky said:
i hate driver subs such as computer speakers and home theater systems!!!!

yes, they do sound great for movies and pop and simple music. most will sound horrible when you play a bass cd or something on them. i dunno whether they actually generate a higher frequency than they are supposed to, but it sounds that way.

Great sound systems still tend to use 'true' subs if i'm not mistaken. smaller the sub, the punchier. bigger the sub, the boomier. generally, but many other properties.
You're probably hearing harmonics, and they are usually in some crappy design ported box to get some level out of the things, Bandpass/W bin/Jbin design subs will be louder but have less definition than a front loaded sub box.

These computer/little stereo boxes are really not subs, rather low mid boxes, the physical size of the drivers prevents them from creating the size waves required for LF reproduction.

I don't know what you mean by "true" and "driver" subs but the larger the driver, the lower the frequency it can reproduce, the punch you're talking about is probably from the low mid produced and to a degree is true - less of the driver to flap/physically move, but no way is a 10 inch going to give you decent level when you get down low.

#17 ·
I've got that problem in my setup..

I've got 4" Infinity co-ax's and although they are good at what they do, the treble definately drowns out the midrange, which in my opinion is what makes a system sound good or bad..

I love bass, but sound quality comes from the quality of the midrange and you simply can't get this from 4" speakers in a car setup.. This is different in a home audio setup, but in a car setup to get any decent sound you need at least 6" speakers in the front.. 6" splits are even better due to treble being so directional, at least you can sit them in a position where the treble hits you best..

I can't wait to get rid of my 4" infinity's and get some Jaycar Response 6" splits.. Not bad speakers for $200!!

Dave

#20 ·
Check out a pair of alpine's top of the line $1000 6" splits. I swore there was a 12" sub hooked up with them and nearly fell over backwards when the rep said no, its just them through and amp! Have a listen and see what you reckon.
Of course, if you cant spend that much, ideally, your highs are made in the front, mids in the back/parcel shelf and bass from subs. Your rears should be amp'd to make sure your mids are getting to the front. That is what is known as front imaging (forgive me if my explanation is pretty crap!)

#22 ·
exactly :)
Size can matter, but like jbolger said, there are many factors that affect how a speaker sounds.
Anyway, have a good weekend everybody.
I'll be back monday :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.