Door speakers...Need quick and simple answer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

confused Door speakers...Need quick and simple answer

I need to know if 6" speakers fit into the EA front doors without probs or what modifications are needed if applicable. I just need a quick and simple answer as I need to tell my sister whether to get me 6" or 4" speakers for xmas

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
Lanzar EA

make door pods to hold the 6 inch speakers in the bottom of the door , i use 18 mm mdf to make mine if u want pictures just ask and ill post them
Old 12-10-2002, 01:12   #3 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Thanks dood. Does that mean they wont fit where the original speakers are? I dont particularly wanna make door pods because I use my door pockets a fair bit.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:26   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

I've got 6.5" speakers in my doors, but it requires a little bit of cutting to make 'em fit. It's surprisingly easy to do. I just used a jigsaw.

The biggest thing you gotta be careful of is the speaker depth... my speakers have about 1" between the window and the magnet on the speaker... but i've heard of some people's speakers going MUCH closer than that!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 04:09   #5 (permalink)
Now Taurus Ghia Owner

Pods are the way to go. Angling them will give you great results.
RFosgate EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:57   #6 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

the EA can only fit 4" speakers if you don't want to cut anything. The ED can fit 6" speakers.
Old 12-10-2002, 14:02   #7 (permalink)

Anything eb s2 or after can fit 6" speakers. before that they were 4" holes in the front doors.
I had the same trouble with my ghia. I have 4" pioneers in there and they go alright.
Get 4's for the doors, 6's for the parcel shelf and a sub and your system will be sweet.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:39   #8 (permalink)
Not as new anymore!

I don't know much about the ea's, but pull ya trim off and have a look to see if anything will hit ya 6" behind there after ya cut a hole. A set of 6" splits in the front works great, so just open it up and have a quick look

http://www.fordforums.com/gallery/sh...php?photo=1488
Benno4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
JP
XR6 Driver

A friend of mine purchased some 6.5" speakers for her front doors and she ended up taking them back and getting some 4" as there was too much involved in fitting the 6.5" speakers
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 20:46   #10 (permalink)

On a slightly differen tack...

I'm wondering why there aren't more small speakers in car audio. Just looking through a catalogue, which advertises subs up to 15" in size! There are many small speaker systems (with big sound!) available in home audio these days...surely this technology is being transferred to the car audio market in some fashion! Isn't it feasable to design some sort of effective sub box that might be squeezed under a seat?

To my way of thinking a well designed pair of 4" speakers should be able to produce a credible sound - particularly with some sort of ported sub enclosure hidden away somewhere else in the vehicle (Sure, the drivers may need to have a longer throw - but surely good design can account for this and eliminate the extra depth required). The Boston Acoustics hooked up to my home computer produce a better sound than the home stereos most of my friends own - and they're tiny, with a sub enclosure that's less than 40cm long. Such speakers would be perfect to replace those commonly shipped with new vehicles!

That's my rant.

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security