EA headunit surround/mounting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 13:27   #1 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

EA headunit surround/mounting

Ages ago I put a HU in my car however when I pulled the old one out (which wasn't the factory one) there was no mounting points, just an open space. I'd assumed there would be mounting points that fits neatly to the size of the HU. My new one is fitted okay but is on a slight angle and sticks out a little.

Was just wondering if there was a mounting point that has been previously removed (it currently has a flat piece of metal going from the back of the ash tray to the back of the HU holding it up and well hidden string holding the front in).

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
CRUISING

Re: EA headunit surround/mounting

when i installed my HU, i took the stock brackets and drilled some holes to line up with the HU and it sits perfectly. Nice and solid as well.

So you probably need to get some stock HU brackets.
Old 03-31-2004, 18:12   #3 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

how was the old one held in?
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Same method I am using now - flat piece of metal running from the back of the ash tray to the back of the HU. Sounds dodgey but holds in pretty well. But the old one never had the mounts which I suppose were ripped out.

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:49   #5 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

factory headunit had brackets on each side that went over the plastic rails... i'm using a modified version of those on my sony headunit, along with some modified brackets (Read bent) made for my clarion EQ to mount it by screwing it directly to the sides of the factory brackets... kinda hard to explain but the EQ is basically held to the bottom of the headunit using a bracket on the sides and the headunit is held in with modified factory mounting rails...

EQ is 1/2 din so it fits perfectly in what normally looks like wasted space :D
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security