Easy to install 6" splits in EL front doors? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Question Easy to install 6" splits in EL front doors?

Hello car-audio gurus,

I bought some Boston Acoustic 6Ē front splits today. Iíve worked with PA and live audio mixing when I was a little younger and was impressed (read very impressed ) with the clarity and definition of these speakers, especially with transients at high volume. They held their own (as in weren't put to shame) when compared to $1300 splits too so I was sold! Anyway wouldnít you know it, the inside diameter of the Boston Acoustics is 6Ē and the inside diameter of the standard front speakers is 5 & 11/16ths (from memory) inches. I wanted to install these myself but do not want to start some smack down metal bashiní gansta sh!t on my doors. How has everyone else dealt with installing 6Ē speakers in EL doors (Fairmont Ghia). Can you easily file the metal away? Iím thinking that itís not that simple because there is a recess in the door and youíd reduce the area that you can screw into I also donít like the idea of metal filings falling inside the door and getting into the window motor etc.

If itís a major hassle Iíll pay to have them installed. I donít like tackling jobs without the proper tools etc and Iím not particularly fond of trusting my baby with other people!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 02:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Easy to install 6" splits in EL front doors?

easy install
i've got 6.5" splits in my EF GLi doors.
6" will slot straight in.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:55   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

mate these don't fit :sad: they are 6" internal diameter and 6.5 including the lip with the screw holes in it. I wonder what the difference is between our doors!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:45   #4 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Just had a look at your stereo on your website. Do your front door speakers sit totally flush with the original rim in the door that the original speakers were screwed to or did you have to space them with washers or the like?
Old 08-11-2003, 17:30   #5 (permalink)

only thing i got in there was a piece of cardboard, just so its sealed better against the door compared to against the metal.
other then that its straight into the door.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

Old 08-11-2003, 17:48   #6 (permalink)

EFFalcon these speakers do not fit! They have metal braces on them and they do not fit into the circular steel hole in the door. If the brace thingees were not there they would pop straight in.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 17:50   #7 (permalink)

stupid speakers.
rip the door apart.
i would!

Old 08-11-2003, 18:00   #8 (permalink)

Hehehehehe get medieval on tha door i say
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:38   #9 (permalink)

it depends on the individual speaker on wether it will fit or not. from memory the bostons have fairly hefty magnets, so they wouldnt fit as easily as say your scumbaggy pioneer/sony etc.

if your really looking for something custom, why not go for fiberglass pods? over the past few nights me and a mate have been building some for his R31 Skyline, here are a couple of pics:

tomorrow morning will be sanding them back and starting to bog them, ready to be trimmed vyinal (sp) to match the rest of the door

it all depends on how you want it to look- stealth or show
Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Ok all finished I ended up going to Northfield for the installation mainly because I had only 1 day off work and frankly paying someone $110 for an install was by far the better option than spending the entire day stuffing around and getting frustrated with metal / MDF work. Anyway I was cheerfully surprised. The boys were careful with my car and installed everything in the original location so you can't tell (except from the liver perforating sound) that a mod has been done. They used an air-saw so they said to cut out the metal and then the drivers easilly cleared everything (falcon doors are thick as anything) . Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Now the limitation is obviously my headunit amplifiers (its the double din premium sound factory head unit). The new drivers take some juice that's for sure and my amp just seriously runs out of puff.... now for the next step.

EDIT: here's a few pics of my original problem.

Last edited by !Gn|T|0n; 03-13-2004 at 17:38.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security