EL XR Stereo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2004, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

EL XR Stereo

Hi guys,

I need advice about my stereo in my EL XR

Currently i have a kenwood KDC-MP4026 Head unit running the standard front & rear speakers with a Sony XM-222MK2 Amp running a single 12 in 800w sony sub in a factory box

The output of the sub is noting but pathetic even when you turn the level adjustment control up, it can bearly be heard OR FELT

I know that the amp is probably too small, but it was purchased as my first system when i didnt know what i was doing, the sub has probably seen better days too (its been mounted in about 3 diffrent cars and been in several accidents lol)

I love listining to Dance, R n B etc but want more BASS and top end claritly. I have a habbit of blowing speakers up and seperating or cracking the paper cones (i havent managed to blow upp a set of 5 in JBL Gto's yet though, but so far the factory pioneers have handled it with only minor damage

When it comes to amp selection i will need to do some research - anyone know of some good tutorial sites that i can browse

6x9 's are out of the question , i feel they do nothing for me and would rather buy a decent set of 6in for the parcel shelf

So, who can help me, im not out to spend thousands of dollars either

Thanks

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 00:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL XR Stereo

Mate if you want clarity its essential you have an amp with balls. There is essentially three ways to get clear sound out of an amp.
1) ensure your amp has low harmonic distortion
2) high power figures
3) high ohmage

Consider this....an amp putting out 45w rms and running at 2Ohm will produce inferior clarity than an amp putting out 45w rms at 4Ohm.
If you want some big bass and to stop popping speakers, get yourself a new amp and a decent sub and make sure you don't skimp on either.
My rule of thumb when it comes to amps is as follows: buy one that puts out the most power (rms) at a relatively high ohmage (e.g 4 ohm). If it costs a little extra so be it. Unfortunately when it comes to buying stereo equipment you get what you pay for
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 23:49   #3 (permalink)

I went into complete audio in adelaide and they reccomended a alpine mono block m350 to drive a alpine type R 12 inch 1221d sub, So later if i want to run splits i can add a stereo amp

The guy reckons about $600 for both sub and amp, any comments appreciated

Amp: MRP-M350

# 700W x 1 (Max)
# 350W x 1 RMS [2Ohms @ 14.4V (1% THD)]
# 200W x 1 RMS [4Ohms @ 14.4V (1% THD)]
# Bass Engine
# Variable LP Crossover
# Bass EQ
# RCA or Speaker Level Inputs
# MOSFET Power Supply

Sub:SWR-1221d

# Peak Power: 1000W
# RMS Power: 300W
# Frequency Response: 24Hz - 1kHz
# Dual Progressive Nomex Spiders
# High Excursion 1" Santroprene Edge
# Custom Cast Aluminum Frame
# Air-Flow Optimized Dual Flare Pole Vent
# Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone
# Extra Length Extended Pole
# Magnetically Optimised Motor Structure
# Integrated Tinsel Lead Design
# Designed and Engineered in the USA

regards,

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Old 10-16-2004, 00:14   #4 (permalink)

Makes sense and the price is reasonable as well..
You could also go a 4 channel amp like the MRV-340 and use 2 channels for the sub and leave the other two for splits. They retail at about $700 but at least it negates the need for second amp to run the splits. Secondly its a V12 amp which is very well reknowned by many people in the industry.
If you want a mono block you could also look at the MRD-M300 which retails at $600.
Just a few alternative suggestions to keep you thinking :)
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:21   #5 (permalink)

well had a closer look at my current system today and found that my current sony sub is best described as poo-bar (it has been in a few cars that have been involved in acidents)
and basicly looks like the cone is fixed in position and will not move, so for now i have replaced it with a 8 ohm "made in china" job that i stole from our av system inside lol

God i love bass, i will get a new sub in the next few weeks probably and see how i go with the rest of the system after i have looked into it a bit more

Thanks everyonr - keep the comments coming
Old 10-16-2004, 02:24   #6 (permalink)

I have been looking closer at the power specs of both my current amp and the alpine unit i mentioned before. My current baby sony amp has a rated output of 80 w (mono) (20 HZ - 20 KHz), 0.1% THD at 4 ohms

The alpine unit has a stated output of 200w x 1 RMS (4 ohm) and a 1% THD

My question is do alpine deliberatly run the amp into the higher distortion region to gain a higher rated output and therefor produce more distortion or is it just a crap amp and poor marketing

I did run a sony XS-L1220 sub with a 25Hz - 800Hz, with a rated power of 250w and max input 800w at 4 ohms
Old 10-16-2004, 22:32   #7 (permalink)

I just been looking at a kenwood KFC-W3009 12 sub rated at 800w but only 200w rms, whats the deal with kenwood subs, that rated input seems a little low to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security