Electric Aerial -- How do i do it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2004, 01:18   #1 (permalink)
Fulli Shick EA

Electric Aerial -- How do i do it?

Gday fellaz, howya' doin?

I've just bought an EA II Ghia and put a new radio in. Problem is, it's aerial is f***ed. The problem doesn't appear TOO serious... the motor still appears to work, however the aerial itself is bent and doesn't move (you can hear the motor whirr when you turn on the radio). I have seen in super cheap auto a "replacement mast" which has the metal mast plus a serrated drive belt. But how would i fit this??? Do i have to get under the car or what?? I"m not sure how it works and i don't want to just "yank it out" as my neighbour says as it'd probably f*** it up worse.

Cheers,
John
jbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 04:36   #2 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

Re: Electric Aerial -- How do i do it?

I'm not quite sure how to fix the aerial, but you can buy a whole new unit for about $100 or less.

Try looking at Supercheap Auto like you said, except look for an AP-3 AP-4 or AP-5... I think the AP-5 is for EF-EL. But find the model of aerial which is designed for your car, and follow the instructions.

For Sale: EF Airbox Lid - $30
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:47   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

You can also buy replacement rods only from Supercheap etc that also come with instructions.
Old 10-27-2004, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
Fulli Shick EA

The instructions don't tell me jack .......

Thankx anyway though...
--JB
Old 10-28-2004, 05:36   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Which instructions - whole aerial or just rod and cable? Tell us and we can tell you how.
Old 10-28-2004, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
Fulli Shick EA

Hi,

Quote:
Which instructions - whole aerial or just rod and cable? Tell us and we can tell you how.
The motor works fine -- i just need to replace the rod. I have bought a rod and serrated cable, and from other posts i know how to do it -- i'm just not sure how to get the black guard out from behind the tyre. It seems to be made of plastic, with a weird metal clip holding it in place... do i bend the clip?? or what?? Do i have to take off the plastic stuff at the top as well? I'm confused ...

Thanks for the <promise of> help.

--JB
Old 01-02-2005, 22:09   #7 (permalink)

very easy to do. u can take out the motor out from under the left front wheel guard. just rip the old mast out. make sure u remove every little bit than just put the new one in make sure the radio is on that way the motor is set to retract when u push it off after u put in the new mast. the antenna mast from super cheap is like 15 bucks.
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 22:11   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeaton
Hi,

The motor works fine -- i just need to replace the rod. I have bought a rod and serrated cable, and from other posts i know how to do it -- i'm just not sure how to get the black guard out from behind the tyre. It seems to be made of plastic, with a weird metal clip holding it in place... do i bend the clip?? or what?? Do i have to take off the plastic stuff at the top as well? I'm confused ...

Thanks for the <promise of> help.

--JB
ah to get a better view of it jack the front left side up take the left wheel off. and ur get a good view of the guard. u should prob take care taking the clips of if u break them they aint gonna go back in again when ur done
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59   #9 (permalink)

well take the lhf inner guard and remove aerial complete on top of the mast or in simple terms tube there is a threaded nut/fitting this holds your aerial mast rope remove and with aerial connected but out of the guard get some1 to turn radio on and just pull the rope out if not the rope retainer clips is not corroded in the assembly well just as the motor is on the radio on position the aerial normally extends so thats when you just pull the rope out once outside retract the aerila and compare the length of the rope and if same length of the new one well just insert the new rope making sure the gears/teeths are facing the motor of the aerial turn radio off and just gide the rope down refit retainer nut/fitting and refit aerial to car and thats it!!! job done 10 min job at the most!!!!
Au_GuRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:00   #10 (permalink)
LSD

On the subject of electric aerials, what could concievably cause it to "stick" when it's going up or down, particularly the former? The motor sounds alright so could it just be the aerial itself sticking from lack of use (I've barely touched the radio since I had a CD player fitted 6-8 months or so ago)?
LSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security