Fibreglass panels/moulds? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 03:26   #1 (permalink)

Question Fibreglass panels/moulds?

Has anyone made custom mdf/fibreglass panels for your stereo installs?
I'm thinking of making a mdf/fibreglass sub box for my XF ute to fit in the cavity behind the seats (cut out and moved back level with the tray).I already have a mdf box with the two 15's in there but would like to make somthing more permanent and better looking to finish off the make over of the ute.

I have done a bit of moulding and blending with bog for door pods and such but havn't done any glassing yet!I have seen it done a few times and man it stinks but the end results with time look great.

My subs would be ideally mounted in a curved and sloped back box with the subs angled as far toward the middle of the cab as possible.The centre of the box would bow in toward the rear as far as possible to give it a nice sloping curved look.

Any ideas or help would be great at this time.
MEX351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 18:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fibreglass panels/moulds?

We've made literally hundreds. What exactly are you asking about champ?
Fhrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 00:40   #3 (permalink)

I would just like to glass the front of the box in a curved shape that is a bit more appealing to the eye than "just another sub box".I have made door pods out of MDF and body filler (bog) but I'm after somthing more flowing this time.

I was curious about the basics of it and any "what not to do's" to make it all happen.
I would make the the box minus the front with the MDF rings for the subs to mount to and a fair bit of bracing and than use some sort of cloth to cover the front and apply the resin and glass to and then sand and bog to make a smooth flowing shape.Than once it's all done I would like to paint the front and other interior bits that I may make if it all works okay the same colour as the ute to match.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 07-02-2005, 20:51   #4 (permalink)

I have just finished making the door pods and it's easy as.Now I just have to sand, bog,sand and paint,and they are done!

Next that sub box!But as the pods worked out really well I won't have any dramas now.Give it a go it's easier than you think and most "panel beaters" are more than happy to help guide you along the right path unlike others.
Old 07-11-2005, 21:30   #5 (permalink)

Making fibreglass and carbon fibre (including Kevlar) parts in not overly hard, it is just time consuming when you have to sand the thing to perfection. :(

I think one of the most important things to remember when creating fibreglass enclosure is preparation. Just like your door pods, the things to consider are:

* What do you want the final enclosure to look like?

* Will you need a basic guide frame to hold the shape it up because the glass get heavy and sags once the resin in on it. Many people forget this.

* Have you double masked everywhere where it could potentially drip? I.e., not just under the enclosure itself. What about too and from the car?

* Have you considered ventilation. I've seen one or two installers knock themselves stupid quite a bit whilst trying to glass inside cars without ventilation.

* Make sure you have plenty of rags, presol and acetone etc on hand to save any potential spills. Better to assume the worst and have it close at hand rather than rushing around looking for it once the resin begins going off.

* Make sure you put quite a few layers on because high quality subs can push titanic amounts of air pressure when angry.

Seeing as you've already done some door pods you would already know all about the mixing process and protective gear like gloves etc so I won't go into that.

Post picces as soon as you can! :D
Fhrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security