Fuse BLowing???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2003, 04:45   #1 (permalink)
Damien28

confused Fuse BLowing????

ever since i have had my stereo installed it keeps blowing fuses, it is one fuse that says CLTPR (i think) and it just keeps blowing, sometimes it doesnt blow for a few days then some days it blows every say 5 mins,

if any one can shed some light it will be helpful

Thanks

Damien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2003, 20:44   #2 (permalink)

For my stereo on my fusebox it says to use a 15amp fuse... it's completely wrong because for even the standard stereo to work I need atleast a 20amp fuse. Try that, if it's not that check the fuse on the actual headunit.
Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
Damien28

HEEEEELLLLP!!!

i went out bought a 20 amp and a 30 amp fuse i put in the 20 amp fuse my mum puled out the drive way and the fuse blew. i put the 30 amp fuse and the stereo was going fine, then i pulled out the cd and some weird noise started going and the lights on the cd player went dim and bright flashin same with the intereior lights. i quickly turned the car off. i then turned it back on crankt up the stero and had it pumping for a lil while i then noticed smoke all infront of me and realised that something was ****ing smoking. soo i dunno wtf is going on and if ne one can help that iwl be sweeeet. i think my mum will be taking the car to an auto elec this week so hopefully they can fix it

cheers

btw i got a clarion head unit
6 iunch splits for the front running off head unit
6x9s running of the amp
and 2 subs runing of the amp

damien
Old 02-10-2003, 14:59   #4 (permalink)
PAST EA TYCOON

make sure that you have a good grounding wire.. this can mae the fuses blow.

Also if you installed it, make sure that none of the wires at the back of the head unit are touching each other with the bare wire ends, just cover the ends of the connected wires with tape, this ensures the wires dont touch each other, also it makes sure the power wire isnt grounding itself if it touches the chassis of the car behind the Head unit.

give it a shot and see how you go.
SOLD
EvilEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 15:10   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

As a RULE if the recommended fuse is blowing there is a problem.

The solution IS NOT to use a bigger fuse, but I guess you know that now.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:27   #6 (permalink)
Damien28

ive checked all the wires behind the stereo and they are all fine adn taped up if the are loose.

i ahve no idea what could be causing this. the other day something weird happened while i wasloading the cd the car made some funny noise and the lights on the stereo face where flashing as if it was drawing lots of power or something but the it was fine.

i just heard today also taht something is going wrong with my front door speakers they are crakling and going off and on, so ill be taking the car back to strathfield as they installed them speakers and getting them fixed as they said there is a life time warranty on what they install.

any one have any advice? would it be best just to take it to an auto electrcian and would they be able to fix it??

cheers guys

damien
Old 02-11-2003, 09:51   #7 (permalink)
donuts2001

Okay so you've hooked a big ass stereo up to a wire whch is only made to handle the stock equipment, and because of the massive power drawof the stereo it keeps blowing fuses.

So then to fix it you put a 20A fuse onto a circuit which has wire that is made for 15A. Then when that blew you put a 30A fuse onto your 15A wire so that a maximum of 30A can flow through.

And now your wondering why your 15amp wiring is catching fire?
Old 02-12-2003, 04:55   #8 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Sounds like a short. Check your wires reconnect if you have to.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:10   #9 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Yep probably your power cable shorting somewere. Sounds like the insulation on the power cable could be worn somewere and taps on bare metal from time to time. Take a look at the whole length of power cable and see if there are any worn out sections.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:05   #10 (permalink)
Go The Stone Brothers!

Incorrect wiring or short circuit. Review Installation and check all wiring connections.

- Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security