head unit bridging??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2003, 23:07   #1 (permalink)

head unit bridging???

hey guys. after some more help.
im looking at getting some response splits from jaycar. my question is that could i bridge my h/u to run these and get better sound? also, who uses these splits and how do they find them? and are there any alternatives in that sub $200 price bracket?
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

do not bridge your deck if you want it to work again :)

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 00:22   #3 (permalink)

ok thanks so much 4 that walkinshaw. i woulda been pissed of big time. LOL
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 21:02   #4 (permalink)

A head unit amplifier circuit uses a different type of amplifier setup than a power and on its own. The amplifier in a head unit already uses a push-pull amp setup (bridged) to get the amount of power needed out of such small units. As Walkinshaw said, you would blow your head unit amp if you attempt to bridge the outputs as it would put a huge load onto the circuit. Also, if it didn't blow the amp, it would sound shocking and there would be no benefits anyway cause neither wire is at ground potential i dont think. I could be wrong, but that is pretty much how they work.
i could go into more detail, but i think you can get the general idea from whats said already......
Hope that helps....
Old 01-28-2003, 04:03   #5 (permalink)

On another note certain moddles of pioneer (DOUBLE TRIPPLE AND QUADRUBLE CHECK BEFORE DOING) can bridge the rears to run a small sub on a budget but aside from that its never a good idea to bridge the HU or run it at anything lower than 4ohms impedance.
swatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 22:09   #6 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Bridging

There are no current Pioneer Head units that you can bridge rear speakers!!
Some of the top of the range units like the 6450,8450 have subwoofer outputs separate to the standard speaker outputs. Keep this in mind!

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-02-2003, 14:58   #7 (permalink)

There are some units that can sort of. I have a 4350 ( i think!). This unit has an inbuilt sub crossover. This means you can run a sub from the rear speaker outputs. I do not think however, that the rears can be bridged to run a sub. Bridging works by inverting one chanel so it's positive terminal is actually negative. The pioneers put the same mono signal out both channels. I am pretty sure you can not bridge these head units. If you want more power, buy an amp....
Old 02-02-2003, 19:50   #8 (permalink)

normal impredance is 4ohm, so bridging would create a 2 ohm load. The internal amp wasnt designed for this, so dont do it.

you wouldnt notice a difference anyway.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security