Ford Forums banner

HELP with headunit installation

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  EvilEA 
#1 ·
I've got a Pioneer DEH-5550MP (i think), i installed it yesterday, everything was fine, was working perfectly. I went inside for a while then went to go to work, start up the car and nothing. Antenna didn't go up or anything.

When I got to work, i had a break so took the dash off, wiggled around the wires at the back because i thought it would just be a loose connection, which it must have been because it started working again.

I thought i'd better solder the wires then, so this morning thats what i did. Hooked it all back up again and it's all working sweet.

I go back to my car to go to uni, and nothing. Doesn't turn on - exact same thing as happened the first time. I just rewired it so couldn't be a loose connection, i didn't know what the hell was going on.

So, bugger uni i'm gonna try and fix this. Took the dash off, looked around, used a multimeter and the headunit is getting power properly but its just not turning on. I tried disconnecting everything except Constant 12v, ACC 12v and ground, but still nothing. Even tried running a ground straight from the battery with no luck.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I just got this headunit for my 21st and I really want to get it working.

Whats wierd is how it was working 100% perfectly, i'd turn the car off, then back on and its still sweet but now it's not doing anything!

However - the eject button makes a "beep" sound when pressed, and when i turn off the ignition, it does that 5 beep thing to remind you to take off the face.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks guys.

Oh yeah, the car is a 1995 EF Fairmont.

The fuse on the back of the headunit is fine, as is the ACC fuse in the dash.

See less See more
#3 ·
You could be putting pressure on the wires when putting the head unit back into the dash. Is it really tight to push in? If so then your wires are probably getting squashed up against something?

Or is it running at all when it's in the dash?

#4 ·
I'd have to agree as what freak said, possibly the wires are squishing together and its causing a short, and when u pull the unit out its all working fine, try and make the wire lengths shorter and tape the loom, this will stop causing the unit to stop switching on and off

#5 ·
the lights wont turn on? or the system, when you press the source button (CD or Radio) does it turn on. Also the top left button, with the clock logo on it, press that and see if the thing lights up. The next thing is check you havent wired up the dimmer lights wire to anything by accident..

good luck, they are a sweet HU when you get them going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.