HELP - SONY Subwoofers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2003, 23:13   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

HELP - SONY Subwoofers

Just want to know what people think about these subs. I am very keen on getting a couple for the boot of my EL and running them with a 2 x 84W rms amp from JAYCAR. I got a Sony deck and I happy with it, plus this wont be no comp system, I hust want some bass the 6" dont cut it. I can get them for $99 each, dont want to spend too much and this seems cheap to me. Also would the amp have enough power to drive them?

XPLOD 12" SUBWOOFER 900W MAX XSL1236
CLICK HERE

AMP options are the 2x84W rms or 4x50W rms. If I get the 4 channel, in the future I can run splits with it too. But will 50W rms be enough to drive one of these subs? Help!

AMP - CLICK HERE

Thanks guys!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2003, 23:17   #2 (permalink)

most people don't have a lot to say about Sony subs.
its really not their strong point :)
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 00:12   #3 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

if you get that sony sub.. your looking at least a 300W rms amp alone and if you wanna further run splits in the future....

a 50w rms amp will not be enough 4 that sony 12" sub (let alone a 12" sub and splits)

(this amp could be used - i think - for ur sony 12" sub)

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...=&SUBCATID=595

you could get that 4 x 50 w rms amp to run 4 x 50W rms splits if u want.. or if ur sony head unit is good enough u could run the splits of the deck.. but it'd be wise to go an amp.
- it'd be safe to run 2 x 50 w rms splits off ur deck

im not 100% sure on this - but i'm fairly sure, try get in touch with a car audio expert if you can to suit u up with the best design

and well, SONY arent the best for car audio, there are plenty of other brands out there

LG

For Sale: EF Airbox Lid - $30
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 00:21   #4 (permalink)

if you really wanna use this stuff.
this is what i recommend.
get the 4x50 amp.
the rear channels can be bridged to 150wrms and that would be used for the sub you specified.
and the front 2 channels @ 50wrms each would be suited perfect for a pair of splits.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:02   #5 (permalink)

I wouldnt buy Sony subs or speakers, all the ones i've heard from sony have sounded bad compared with other brands in the same price range.

I think their head units seem to be OK but speakers are defineatly not their strong point as EFFalcon said!
xespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:12   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ok so the Sony subs are no good, aka the price. Instead of getting 2 of the Sony subs I will look at a sngle Pioneer sub.

Not sure off the exact model but I assume the Pioneer VCCS 12inch sub (silver bullit one) is a better product. How much power would i beed to drive this sub and get nice bass out of it? 150wrms would be more then enough to drive the sub without trashing it right?? The 4x50 amp sound like the better option as it will leave me with the 2 front channels for splits like EF said.

Ok so, is this better???
Old 06-07-2003, 03:24   #7 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

could u do that..

4 x 50 w amp.. run 2 splits (@50wrms) and a 150w rms sub..

1) the amp doesnt allow for this much power???

www.phoenixgold.com - TOP stuff... better than SONY/Pioneer/Alpine etc. however u will be looking at $$$... but they do sell some cheap products (subs/and components)
Old 06-07-2003, 04:51   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

LG, what do you mean by "the amp doesnt allow for this much power?"??
Old 06-07-2003, 05:31   #9 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

well u have a 4 x 50 w/rms amp...

you could either run 4 x 50 w/rms speakers (coaxials/sets/whatever)

or you could run a 1 x 200 w/rms speaker/sub

EFFalcon suggested that u could run 2 x 50 w/rms splits leaving 100 w/rms for ur sub.. which would have to be a pretty weak sub - but im not completely sure how this bridging works.

um like the max.. the amp can deal with is 200 w/rms .. and running 2 splits and a 150 w/rms is more than the amp can handle ...... i think

correct me if im wrong EFfalcon, thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 09:10   #10 (permalink)

I would get the 4 x 50 RMS amp, i think that they are about 130 RMS when you bridge 2 of the channels.
My bro has a couple of pioneer 12" subs running off about 100 RMS each and they surprisingly go quite well!

but if your planning on putting 50 RMS into the stock speakers you will blow the crap threw them IMO. so keep the gains right down. and get some nice splits up the front.
JBeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security