Hit a snag (head removal) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2003, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Hit a snag (head removal)

Well we've hit a snag while trying to remove the head to replace my head gasket (EA falcon btw). One of the head bolts (14mm) has unfortunately become threaded at the top and any tool that we try to use is either making it worse or cannot fit around the bolt being in the awkward spot that it is. We've also tried to remove the rocker assembly first to free up some space around the bolt but unfortunately 1 out of the 24 bolts keeping this on has also become threaded, and the bolt is too small for any relevant tool to be useful.

What are my options? Were now considering getting the bolt machined out and rebored. Is there anything else we can do?

Old 05-12-2003, 00:52   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I take it you mean the bolt-head has become rounded. Important lesson to learn, make sure you have the right size socket to remove head bolts. There are a couple of things that might work. Firstly go out and buy a good quality 14mm socket (Sincrome or something like that), and try that. You will only have one or two tries before you round it again. You can also try to hammer on a smaller 13mm socket onto the bolt head (this often works), failing this you can try to file the bolt down to 13mm.

Good luck
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 00:54   #3 (permalink)

When SPHELL was doing his the other week, the same thing happened. He had to grind what he could off the top of it and just pull the head out that way. Pretty rough way of doing things, but he got results.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:07   #4 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

We've got all the right sockets and there good quality as well (kincrome). It's just that the bolts seized and eventually it just rounded off. We've also considered hammering a 13mm socket but didn't know how much succes we'd have or if we'd make matters worse. Failing that, grinding the top off may be the only option. What do people think of this method?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
donuts2001

Were you using a 6 sided socket?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:10   #6 (permalink)

you can try hitting the head of the bolt to expand it make sure you use a singal hex socket i have found impact sockets are better. failing this may have to do as kenaz says.
i this job at least once a week
IAN SCHMIDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Yep we were using six sided sockets. Just gave SPHELL a call and yer it looks like grinding is our only option.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:28   #8 (permalink)
SM

A nice belt on the head with a hammer, if its stripped try some vice grips.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:41   #9 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Been there done that with the head bolts :)

Grinding sucks. Last year i did three head gasket jobs in six months, and we rounded off about 3 bolts (using six sided snap on sockets and a massive breaker bar)

What we ended up doing was buying a cheep 14mm socket from bunnings or whatever, borrowing a arc welder and welding the socket onto the stuffed bolt. Make sure you dont weld the bolt onto the head though....be really careful.

Then just snap it right on out of there.....worked a treat for us.
You could also try hammering a 13mm socket on there but if it looks like it might fit USE A IMPACT socket :)

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 03:00   #10 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I this happen on my replacement EA motor before I put it in. I got a cheap 14mm ring spanner and cut the open end off it with an angle grinder then used a long bit of pipe over the end of it to get some leverage. Worked a treat for me, if it doesn't work you could weld the ring spanner onto the bolt and then try it.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security