How big of an Amp do I need? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 21:16   #1 (permalink)

How big of an Amp do I need?

So this question is for anyone who knows about car audio systems.

The Subwoofer I'm getting is Dual Audio SBP10 which has 750w (375rms) 4 ohms. I'm sure it isn't the greatest one in the world, but it is coming with the box I want so I'll just use it until it blows. So as much as I appreciate all advice, I don't need any advice on the type of sub I'm getting please :)

Anyways, I'm wondering how big of an amp I need to get. Like a one channel that does 375 rms, or 2 channel that does 175rms or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
imtalkintou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: How big of an Amp do I need?

If you have one speaker, all you need is a one channel amp that is rated to 750 watts.

I have two dual 12 inch speakers man, both limits are at 500 watts, but when I hook a 2 channel 1000 watt amp to it, won't nobody have anything to say about dual speakers in my neighborhood.lol.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 13:46   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: How big of an Amp do I need?

That's 750 peak watts. You need to limit your amp rms size to match the rms rating on the sub. The only way you would need a 2 channel amp if it was a lower wattage (100 watts or so) and run it bridged into a single sub. I've got a old Pioneer 75 x 2 amp I ran bridged into a single Rockford Fosgate P2 12" and managed to burn up the voice coil in a very short time. Replaced it with a Kenwood sub that has held up, but doesn't hit nearly as hard as that P2 did. I miss those days but had to give it up.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security