how do u remove an au stereo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2002, 13:59   #1 (permalink)
laboom

how do u remove an au stereo

I have got a new headunit and i am having trouble removing the old tape deck.

are new h/u easy to install.

Any suggestions
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2002, 17:15   #2 (permalink)
plarsson

Lightbulb

To remove the broadcast radio (stereo) from the dash, you need to acquire a set of radio removal keys.

these are a pair ( and you need 2 ) of " U " shaped wires of about 3mm thick. they have a groove machined on the ends (both) about 1.5 mm from the end.

to remove the radio you need to carefully insert each key into the pair of holes in the face of the radio. preferably one at a time.

you will feel (as long as your not rough) the key engage the groove into the locking mechanism. with both keys engaged, move the top of the keys apart, you should feel a bit of a click.

The radio should now slide out. Disconnect the antenna connector and power,speaker connectors.

If you damage the locking mechanism of the radio by poking any old thing into the holes (and you will break it if you stick any old thing in) then you will have to destroy the radio to get the remains out as the escutchion (the surrounding) panel has 4 screws behind the radio. you cant remove the escutchion without removing the radio first.

As for fitting something else into the hole,, its easy enuff if you have the skill and patience to make or modify the brackets.

Have fun.
Old 11-28-2002, 21:29   #3 (permalink)
plarsson

You should be able to get the radio keys from Strathfield car radio or places like that, worst comes to worst even from the dealer .
Old 11-29-2002, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally posted by plarsson
To remove the broadcast radio (stereo) from the dash, you need to acquire a set of radio removal keys.

these are a pair ( and you need 2 ) of " U " shaped wires of about 3mm thick. they have a groove machined on the ends (both) about 1.5 mm from the end.

to remove the radio you need to carefully insert each key into the pair of holes in the face of the radio. preferably one at a time.

you will feel (as long as your not rough) the key engage the groove into the locking mechanism. with both keys engaged, move the top of the keys apart, you should feel a bit of a click.

The radio should now slide out. Disconnect the antenna connector and power,speaker connectors.

If you damage the locking mechanism of the radio by poking any old thing into the holes (and you will break it if you stick any old thing in) then you will have to destroy the radio to get the remains out as the escutchion (the surrounding) panel has 4 screws behind the radio. you cant remove the escutchion without removing the radio first.

As for fitting something else into the hole,, its easy enuff if you have the skill and patience to make or modify the brackets.

Have fun.
Man. couldn't have said it any better myself. It's great working for a Ford dealer as you can "borrow" stuff like that.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 01:33   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Tell you what also works - a piece of metal coat hanger, just make sure you file the ends off smooth, other wise you will have problems
Old 12-01-2002, 14:19   #6 (permalink)
plarsson

I don't work for a dealer, But I've had plenty of experience extracting these radios when I was fitting out cabs in Brisbane for the now defunct Brisbane Cabs. My job now with Q***T**k ( censored as to not fall foul of blatant advertising rules) gives me the benefit of a AUII Forte Wagon, and as I have installed one of my companies products. I have kept my hand in so to speak.

As for using coat hanger wire, it has to be real stiff as the locking mechanism can be a bit reluctant. Which as with all jobs of a testicle nature the right tool does the right job the first time.
Old 12-01-2002, 22:45   #7 (permalink)

hmm.....just thinking back (over a year now), it probably wasn't a coat hanger, but heavier gauge stuff. It was the perfect size for the holes anyway. Had it out in about 30 secs.

BTW what sort of run around do you get from Ford if you want to find out the security code for the radio?
Old 12-01-2002, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
plarsson

When I was working at Brisbane Cabs, we were fairly pally with the local Ford dealer, because in brissy most cabs are Fords. So in my case there it was just a matter of ringing the parts guy and quoting the VIN number. Assuming of course that the radio in hand was the original radio for that car. You can with much anguish get the security number by quoting the radio's serial number.

We used to engrave the security number onto the radios as they used to get swapped between cars, usually if a cab was written off then the good radio out of it would get swapped into another car. If you look on the edge of the sunvisor of an ex brissy cab you will find several 4 digit numbers written and scribbled out.

I suspect that in order to get the security number now there would be some rigarmaroll involving your grandmothers maiden name and a masonic handshake.

Old habits die hard so when I pulled the radio out of my Forte, I engraved the security number onto the radio and wrote the number on the edge of the drivers sunvisor.

You don't get many goes at lucking the code before the radio locks you out for a way long time.
Old 12-02-2002, 00:22   #9 (permalink)

Hey Plarsson which ford Dealer did you deal with mostly in brisbane. Im involved with a company that owns 12 yellow cabs and 2 silver service Fairlanes.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
plarsson

From memory it was City Ford, who were local to us at Herston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security