how many watts do the Pioneer speakers have? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2002, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

how many watts do the Pioneer speakers have?

I think these were the standard ones from factory. My El XR6 has these, and I was wondering if the Sony Xplod's are worth replacing them? They are 6" 2 way speakers @ 79 bucks at autobarn.

When it comes to car audio im pretty useless. So I'm asking advice from some of the Guru's. Do they just replace the old ones in the parcel shelf?

The pioneers are pretty good, but If the Xplod's are alot better, then $79 is justified. They would also look better, Red, although im not really after them for the looks.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2002, 15:00   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Cobra, I don't know if I can answer you question but I'll have a go.

For starters your question "how many watts do the Pioneer speakers have?"

Speakers themselves don't make watts - only amps make watts, which is a measurment of power.

Speakers have a power handling rating (also measured in watts) which in simple terms is how much power can be fed into the speakers before they start to distort.

Factory speakers are usually only rated at around 10~15 watts from my experience, maybe things have changed &/or XRs have better gear.

Aftermarket speakers will usually have a much higher power handling rating, but to get the best out of them will require more power be fed in. That's not to say they won't sound better than the factory jobbies with a standard headunit (and yes, they should just drop in to the factory holes if they are the same size)

Try and audition them and decide if you like how they sound - unfortunately though very few sound boards are constructed much like a car.
Old 12-15-2002, 15:03   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Let's start with a couple of basics.

Speakers don't have watts - they have the capacity to handle power measured in watts.

Almost any after market speaker from a reputable manufacturer is going to sound better than the factory $8 specials.

A word of advice - Ford have been really good through the years at using non-standard speaker sizes like 5 x 9 for their rear mounts. Unless you really want to start cutting metal - check first.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 16:33   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

I won't say it again...

Generally any speaker upgrade is justified, sorta....

I've heard that Sony xplod's 'look' good!!!! Set up right factory speakers can sound good, the system in my car is set up for quality and ppl in the car audio game don't believe the fronts are factory splits.....
IMO I would go from factory Pioneers down to xplod's. Also I don't think they drop straight in, if the EF-EL is anything like the EA -ED, the holes are 6" nor 6.5".

If oyu want the stero to sound good, spend your money on the front with a small amp!!
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 01:30   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Sorry I meant to ask what is the maximum power output the Pioneers can handle. The Xplod Speakers says 130watts. I want to get the Sony Xplod head unit too, as I need a CD player, but to get louder crisper sound i need a bigger/better AMP?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
au2 forte

Initially I would have just said go and get the sony's if you've auditioned them and you liked them. But now that you're talking about getting a new head unit and possibly amp as well....Do you know how far you want to go with your system ? (ie. do you plan on upgrading all 4 speakers at some stage ?? possibly getting a small sub-woofer as well etc ?? Do you have a planned budget for the system ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
what is the maximum power output the Pioneers can handle. The Xplod Speakers says 130watts
I wouldn't worry about the max power handling value, only the RMS rating is worth anything. It's because you'll see some speakers which have a max (or also called "peak") rating of 100 watts, and the rms rating might be ~70 and other speakers with the same peak rating might have an rms rating of 30 etc. The reason is that often manufacturers don't state under what conditions the speaker is able to handle that max power. eg. sometimes the speaker might only be able to handle the peak power for a few seconds etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
but to get louder crisper sound i need a bigger/better AMP?
In this case it depends. Yes getting an amp will definitely let you play louder, because the head unit would only give out say 15-20rms (for some ppl this is quite sufficeint, it depends on the person). But as far as being "crisper", I'd say consider the scenario: Let's say you were going to spend $100 on an amp to power your $79 sony's. Instead, you might find that you get better sound quality from getting a pair of $179 splits and just running them as fronts off the head unit. Sure they might not get as loud, but they might give you crisper sound due to using higher quality speaker components? Of course this is a generalisation because there are a lot of variables that'd come into it.

Quote:
Originally posted by LTDHO
If you want the stereo to sound good, spend your money on the front with a small amp!!
Agreed, front speakers are more important than your rear ones for sound quality (imho).

What you could do (as Raptor was suggesting) is go and demo some speakers (amped & non-amped), and then some more expensive speakers/splits as well (amped & non-amped). This way you'll get a better idea of what will work for you. (Some shops have their demo boards set up this way with a switch so you can listen to speakers amped/non amped).

Anyways, just my opinion.
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security