i got speaker, now all i need is subs, what should i get? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2002, 17:34   #1 (permalink)
ex ea driver

i got speaker, now all i need is subs, what should i get?

I'm lookin a 2 HX2 15" rockford fosgate subs, r they worth there money??? if not, what else should i get??? from what i have been told they should b pritty awesome.
thanks.. Jason
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2002, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
David Jakic

SUBS

If you are gonna get two 15" subs I would go for the
JL AUDIO. They are about $650 each and with 500W RMS they pump. If you are even thinking of getting them make sure you get good amp.
Just my advice.
Old 04-29-2002, 21:17   #3 (permalink)
JNRFTR

Re: SUBS

Hay man i got 4-12inch subs pioneer vccs
and a V12 amp 1X1500watts
its all for sale if you want it its worth $1300
the subs are in a box and all. let me no man
Old 04-30-2002, 15:19   #4 (permalink)
sikmick

Personally i don't think there is any point in getting such high powered subs if you aren't going to drive them properly..it would be just a waste..
I'm running two 12" Soundstream subs, and i can't complain one bit..i think they are rated at 230 RMS and i'm giving them 225 RMS each.

Michael
Old 04-30-2002, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
ex ea driver

rrp for HX2 15" subs r 749 each, there rms rateing is 600 watt, i was lookin at gettin either a rockford 1000.1 amp, or a 1500.1 amp both digital amps
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

the HX2's are very nice subs. In the same price range look at Orion XTR PRO's or Soundstreem SPL's (if you can find them)

The RF's are nice subs, but make sure you can power them, as they have a pretty crap sensitivity and need lots of power to get them moving.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 22:15   #7 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

I can't really justify spending huge amounts of money on subwoofers. Manufacturers go on so much about high excusion subs these days and how their so much louder....well it's not completely true. I just completed a Custom Car Sound training course for work (more of a refresher course) and again, we were taught that loudness (SPL) is by no means a direct factor of cone excursion. They were talking about a demo car they did that made some insane SPL (high 150's) with subs that only had around 8mm of xmax (xmax is linear excursion of a sub). If you get yourself a decent sub (say around $300-$350) and build a box that's suited to it, it will be loud and sound great. You can really tailor the sound to how you want it with the box. Without getting too technical, sealed boxes suck for SPL but are good for sound quality. Ported is ideal for SPL and can also sound good but never have the same 'tight' response as a sealed box. And bandpass boxes are very efficient (they get loud with small amps) but tend to be a bit boomy and have a big group delay.

A good example is at a sound off the other weekend, a guy hit 138db in a high ace van with two shit arse Audioline subs....they were $25 each! But the box he had was a massive ported design which would have been VERY efficient and so gave him high SPL. What I'm trying to say is get a sub that is good quality but don't go for gimmicks....in the end, it's all in the box.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:56   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Whoa!! Imagine what reading he would have got with Dominator subs???!!!

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:59   #9 (permalink)
goingSPAK

so sphell what your saying is the bigger the ported box the louder the bass?! Wat will happen if you put sound deadening inside the box and put big ports in it?! How big do you think i should build a ported box for two 10inch mtx thunder4000 subs?! I was planning on making a false floor for them just so i still have some room left...
Old 05-01-2002, 12:31   #10 (permalink)

what exactly are bandpass boxes ?
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security