Invisible sound system? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Woz
Breathe in that speed!

confused Invisible sound system?

I need some ideas-folk here as I'm unsure of what I should do.

I want to put a good sound setup in an XB Fairmont, but don't want it to be visible anymore than it definately needs to be as I'd rather hang on to the originality of the cars look. I understand that the head-unit will probably have to be within view, but I don't want the speakers seen if I can help it.

I thought about installing the head-unit in the glovebox, but quickly decided against that.

a) Why install the head-unit where the driver can't get to it?
b) I'd rather have it on the right hand side of the steering column so that I can fiddle with it, but fellow passengers can't. I hate it when I'm listening to one of my cds and whoever is in the passenger side switches to the radio to listen to their shit. I'd like to keep as much rap and hip hop and that sort of shit out of my car as possible.

I'm thinking about bracketing up some speakers in the back of the front seats, between the springs and the lining. Putting speakers inside the doors, behind the trims, is probably another option, but the sound would probably be too muffled. Front speakers under the dash? The lining down near your feet is solid, with no speaker holes cut through, and I'd rather not hack that up if I don't have to.

If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to post them here. I don't care how wild they may seem. As long as it keeps things out of sight, it's what I'm looking for.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2004, 09:00   #2 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Re: Invisible sound system?

I think Kenwood had a single din unit that had a flip down face CD player. When the player was not in use/switched off, the face flipped back up and all you saw was a black rectangle piece of plastic. You could try and glue on a old dial/push button radio face onto the flat face so as when it's off it looks like a crappy old radio, but when switched back on the face flips down and you have a modern day CD player. This unit was on sale a couple of years ago when I saw it, don't know if it is still.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:42   #3 (permalink)

Sony have a headunit like the Kenwood one described, where when the car is off it flips up. The only thing is that it isn't a plain black piece of plastic on the back. It has a large LED panel on the reverse, but when the car is off it all looks black anyway. I think there are 2 available and their model numbers are something like CDX-M800 and CDX-M8800
hoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 14:43   #4 (permalink)
ST170ish

Dont change the "originality of the cars look"... and why not?
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 23:53   #5 (permalink)
Woz
Breathe in that speed!

I don't know. For personal interests sake. I'd rather keep it original.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
EA Dumped on its arse

i was thinking about cutting a piece of mdf the same size as my parcel shelf and having my 6x9's recessed into it along with some coach bolts then covering the whole lot with some thin fabric like what black stockings are made of and then bolting the lot to the existing steel parcel shelf

1988 EA Falcon CFI Slug
gtfalcon351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:26   #7 (permalink)

You could mount a unit inside the centre console maybe? I've seen that done before. Leave the stock radio in and wire up the single speaker in the top of the dash for it. Small speakers could be hung under the dash and maybe a small woofer under one of the seats. If the car has rear speakers in the back parcel shelf do something like GTFalcon suggests. Maybe mount the speakers in the boot under the old speaker holes and lay black fabric of some sort over the parcel shelf so that it looks like there are no speakers there.
Paul351xb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security