KC Laser hatch desperately needs bass - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2003, 23:33   #1 (permalink)
Busy planning...something

KC Laser hatch desperately needs bass

Hi all,

I want to get some bass in the GF's car for her birthday - the car currently has a sony 52x4 HU, unfortunately only powering 4" stock speakers up front and 5" jaycar speakers at the rear.

The boot carries stuff often, so what is the best go:
- MDF Parcel shelf and reasonable speakers? (Anyone got a design for one I can follow?
- Cannon setup for boot (space saving)?
- Small sub box?

Dave
208_Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2003, 15:43   #2 (permalink)
kasper101

Re: KC Laser hatch desperately needs bass

Hi Dave,

There is one thing that I can suggest thats a bit out there. Most car audio places now sell speaker boxes for 6 x 9 speakers. What I found was that if you look either side of the floor of the boot behind the wheel arch on either side you will find pull up doors. One of these is where the jack goes. We have found that the speaker boxs squezze about half way down in to the hole. Screw these off and then just fit your 6 x 9. I suggest pioneer 4 way or 5 way to get the best quality sound. you may also find that you will have to angle these slightly towards the centre.

Kris & Sunshyn
Old 10-15-2003, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

I suggest custom making a parcel shelf (use the old one as a guide) and chucking some decent 4 way 6x9's in it. You will get more bass for sure, not as much as a sub, but enough. Then just put the Jaycar's up front.
Old 10-15-2003, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Busy planning...something

Either way, I'm gonna require some 6x9s then. If that's truly the way to go, then what are some good not-too-dear speakers to suit?

Dave
208_Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

Kenwood are well priced. Their 300watt 6x9's are pretty cheap these days. If you want quality, then IMO go Pioneer 330watt 3 ways or 400watt 4 or 5 ways.

If you just want something for under $100, take a looka t the DNA 6x9's, My GF's sister picked up a pair for $89, they sound alright for what she paid for them.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:10   #6 (permalink)

i used to have a KC laser with 5.25"dls splits up front getting 100rms each, kenwood 7x10" in parcel tray and 2 sony 10"subs then went to 2x12"alpine subs getting 150rms each. bass was huge. for the parcel tray just cut some holes slightly smaller than 6x9" (7x10) also fit in these holes, get some 9-12mm MDF cut 4 rectangles slightly bigger than the speakers and cut the required size hole in 2 of them for the speaker to be mounted in, and a slightly smaller hole in the other 2. then screw 1 either side of the parcel tray and fit your speakers into them. or get a 10"sub in a small box about 20litres. (.75cuft) sony or clarion can be bought for $100 in 10"size. if you want some pics of what im talking about give me your email address.
MR AUII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security