my 6' speakers, what to do? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 23:13   #1 (permalink)
E-series mutantette

my 6' speakers, what to do?

im getting 6x9's put in the back of my ED soon, ive got factory pioneer 6's in the back, which arnt that bad, i was wondering if it would sound any better if i put the factory 6's in the front when the 6x9's go in the back, would it make it better? or make any difference?, theres speakers in the front doors already but mounted in it, and also would it be hard to do? im not doing it myself im getting them installed, do you think they will do it for me?
Sub on the way!
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Pursuit_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
Poorer than ever!

Re: my 6' speakers, what to do?

I'd toss them away and get a set of splits up the front - woofer in the door and the tweeters placed up in the dash. You'll need to run them off the amp, but will sound so much better than the factory speakers. Personally if you're getting a good sub, the 6x9s won't be much use. You'd be better off leaving the factory speakers in the back and run the sub and splits off the amp.
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:21   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Kingy, with the amp on the way, go a good set of splits up front, and with a sub on the way, save a few bucks and get a good set of 6" in the back rather than 6x9's. Rear speakers are generally a courtesy for rear passengers so they can hear the top end of the music, and 6" generally produce better top end than 6x9's. 6x9's have better bass, but with a subby it makes it insignificant. The factory Pioneer rear speakers are slightly better than the front ones, but they are made of a paper cone and are no where near as good as after market speakers. In terms of changing the front speakers, it isn't too hard, but a set of Safety Torx sockets is required. An installation mob would change it, for what price I dunno, I did mine myself. I reccommend purchasing the amp, subby and splits all together that way you can get componants that will be satisfactorally matched to each other within your budget. I'm now onto my second car stereo, so I hope this helps a little.

Sound equipment: Sony CDX-M800 head unit with 6 disc stacker, JL e4300 amp, JL VR600-CSi splits and a Kicker EX series 15" Sub

On the way: Lowering, tinting, exhaust, this list could be endless.......
hoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 14:41   #4 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

it does not sound like you want an amp to me..I am not sure of your ed but my old eb falcon had pioneers all round and I personally beieve that there is not a better car stereo speaker on the market. I bought some super doopa speakers a few years ago and put 1 in only.I had also installed a nice head unit..
The sound was terrific all except for that 1 new one .Dont under estimate the speakers that you have...I would be looking at a better radio...

Ps I ended up putting the old speaker back in and it was terrific.Sounded really good..
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
E-series mutantette

hey thanks for your replies, atm im just going the pioneer H/U for now and see what its like with the factory 6's in the back. will keep you's posted if anything will change
Sub on the way!
Old 09-27-2004, 21:33   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Don't cut the parcel shelf is all I will say.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 21:37   #7 (permalink)

Yeah i would agree with that Dellboy, could mean a canary and an expensive job to make it legal again, and with Subs you probably dont really need 6x9's in the back anyway just some decent 6's
Old 09-28-2004, 02:08   #8 (permalink)
E-series mutantette

i scraped the whole 6x9's out now lol, not putting 6x9's and sub in, wont sound good or any diff for that matter, so just a H/U, subs and leave the factory 6's in the back for now
Sub on the way!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:44   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=useless]I personally beieve that there is not a better car stereo speaker on the market.

I disagree on this particular comment useless.... Pioneer produced quality speakers back in the day, whereas now they're manufactured cheaply in China. Just look at what Pioneer's sell for a JB Hifi and the like and u'll see what i mean... Pick one up and it immediately becomes apparent why a set of 6 inch splits retail for $200. Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer and God knows what other brands come out of the same factory believe it or not...
In terms of sound quality european brands like focal and american brands like Boston Acoustics leave Pioneer's stuff for dead... In this particular area the saying 'you get what you pay for' holds true...
Thats my 2 cents worth anyways... :)
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 15:46   #10 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

good plan with dropping the 6x9's kelly, u will appreciate subs a whole lot more without them

"Hey, it compiles! Lets sell it" - What Microsoft probably says about all its products.

If what i'm saying isn't making any sense, im not drunk, im just like this all the time..............ok so maybe im drunk, but thats beside the point...
xf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security