Ford Forums banner

Need help?? Places to mount amp

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  xf351gt 
G
#1 ·
hey i was just wondering when mounting my amp can i mount it on my sub box and is that alright or is it bad because it is near magnets or what ever or is it perfectly fine to mount it on the sub box, secondly

when i have 2 subs in my sub box and they are wired in a series type way the guy sed so that they only have a one set of negative and positive cables rather then two, the guy told me this was better, i was just wondering is it ok to bridge thes and have the amp set at Sum mono setting so it is a brdged mono channel, so would it be ok to have both of the subs running from this

thanks for the help

Damien

#3 ·
just mount the amp on the back seats... i've got 2 amps mounted there...

G
#4 ·
in the manual it says to mount ehm where they wont vibrate much and i was thinking about putting it on the sub box?? good or bad idea?? ive seen it done before so it couldnt be too bad. also is it ok for them on the back of the seats? or do they vibrate too much there ?

#5 ·
Mounting your amps on the sub box should be fine unless your using 12mm wood with a 1500wrms sub. It'll vibrate the amp werever you put it so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I've seen it done lotsa times before where people screwed them to the back of the rear seats, but I still don't like the idea as the amps would be on a slight upside down incline, which is not really optimum for cooling, as the heat rises back into the amps heatsinks. It's something I would never do as my amps get hot enough as it is, but I've never heard anyone else complain.

My recommend you rear load the subs and screw the amp to the back of the box so that it can be viewed when you put your seats down. As for the magnet issue I wouldn't worry about it.

Outa curiousity may I ask what kinda gear your running?

G
#6 ·
i have a clarion head unit
clarion 6 inch splits at the front running off the head unit
i got clarion 6x9s running of the amp
and 2 subs runnning off the amp they are put in a series i think so the two subs come out as one set of wires and i have them bridged on the amp. the guy where i bought the stereo from told me that doing the subs this way was the best and it makes them like dual voice coil or something

cheers for the help guys

i think ill just mount it on the sub box

cheers

damien

#7 ·
Prevent mounting on sub box!

I have read many "professional" sites on the Internet in relation to amplifiers ie. http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm. Have a good search for yourself. The major thing repeated was that you should NOT mount an amp on the sub box as the vibrations cause the most damage. It will move things inside (capacitors, resistors whatever and making them loose/bad connections) and completely screw your amp. The only thing recommended (if absolutely necessary) was to have thick MDF with lots of strengthening wood in place (in a grid formation, but don't do this if you haven't seen diagrams).

Like the others above have said; connect the power supply to the positive battery terminal and go through the firewall. Also remember to have a fuse as close as possible to where it connects with the battery (six inches for example). This will prevent disasters (fire can easily start if too much current is run through the cable).

I'd continue but you only wanted to know where to mount your amp! I myself have mounted in the boot of my ED Falcon to the right (above the wheel arch). It sits very securely and tightly.

Hope it helps.

G
#8 ·
yeah well i have everything connected and all
all i need to do is mount it some where so it aint sliding around thats it.

thanks for the help. i was thinking about if you pul the seats down there isa little part behind the seats i was htinking of mounting it there.

cheers

damien

#9 ·
don't mount the amps on your box, just mount them on the back seats, it'll be better for numerous reasons, such as they wont vibrate as much, it'll be easier to fiddle with your gains etc on your amps, and probably look better. I have two amps mounted on my back seat and when you pull the back seats down it looks trick because all the wiring is ran under the material of the seats so all u see is the two amps and the wires running under the material.

#10 ·
I once mounted an amp upsidedown onto the underneath of a parcel shelf in the boot, was fantastic spot for it.

#12 ·
Ive mounted my amps to my sub enclosures for years and have not had 1 single problem.. atm I have a Clarion vnet 4100 & Fusion 2 channel mounted to the back of 2 custom enclosures containing 2 12" subwoofers.

I say go for it.... but whatever you do... dont mount it upside down. There is a reason why the heat sinks are on the top.

#15 ·
The amps would have to be getting very hot to be any problem mounting it upside down under the parcel shelf...........with as many hole is has in it and the volume of air in the boot it should be fine for the natural life of the amp.....you know till you want something better :)

#20 ·
I had one amp under each front seat in my EB. I prefer the stealth look so thieves hopefully think I just have a boring system not worth stealing.

#21 ·
amp of mine is build in the back of the box and subs facing to boot so can still ajust amp by putting down back seat .

and takes wile but can be removed for racing easyer saves about 50kg`s

funny thing made the box for the xf fitted in ed with minor mods had to file .5 of the top edges and very tight fit in the ed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.