new stereo for my EB Ghia - ideas? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

new stereo for my EB Ghia - ideas?

i have pioneer bullet splits in the front at the moment, but the rest is stock.

so far i've chosen the clarion DXZ835MP deck, which i'm getting for $700.

i'm gonna run the front splits and rear shelf 6" 2/3ways straight off the deck, but i'm undecided whether to run them off their own amp instead, coz my deck will have 6 preouts for that purpose(front pair, rear pair, sub pair), but that all depends on money.

for subs i'm gonna keep the factory amp and replace the factory 8" with a 10", mounted under the 8" hole.

i'm gonna have it proffessionally installed coz i dont trust myself, plus i'm lazy. should i get them to run RCA plugs and big cables to the factory amp in the boot for the sub(or subs, should i decide to add a box)?

what else should i do? what brands should i aim at for speakers?

its a 93 EBII ghia alpine premium sound with the 6 stacker(which, after all this i wont have no more)

thanks all.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 22:38   #2 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

For 6 inch speakers, it's hard to go past brands like Boston, Alpine, JL Audio, MB Quart, or if they break the budget, Kenwood and Pioneer make some pretty decent stuff. I am not sure what the factory amp that runs the sub is, do you know any details on it? You will get better sound with a box, but they do take up space so you will have to decide if you can afford to lose it. As for free air 10 inch subs, Kicker make a pretty decent one which I have seen going cheap at JB HI-FI down my way. If it was me I would get some details on the power output of the factory amp, they are generally piss weak, but hopefully for your sake I am wrong.
Old 06-02-2003, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Just do the speakers and not the sub, run them off the deck, will be a quick simple job that way, less to wire and setup.

If you are getting a sound board put in then do the sub as well while at it, otherwise you will have a lovely rattle from the parcel shelf caused by the sub.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

rattle caused by the sub? i dont want that! mind you, it had an 8inch there before which ran fine(still there, but its rooted and thus disconnected coz it sounds terrible)..

i was told by the manager of the audio shop that the factory amp is alpine and its pretty decent so its best keeping that instead of wasting cash on a new amp..

i'll see what info i can get on that factory amp after work.. watch this space.

Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
Old 06-02-2003, 23:02   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Well if you keep the factory amp and its not good enough, worst that can happen, is it will get really hot, then really mad, then really cut out ..... LOL

Then buy a better one, or find out the specs and maybe use it for your rear speakes or something, is a stereo amp thats been bridged or a mono amp special made for Ford to just run a sub.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:25   #6 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

Just to add my 2 cents....

I wouldnt go the Clarion... I used to have a Clarion in my EB and thought it sounded pretty good. Then later I changed to Alpine and the sound quality was awesome... far better than the Clarion. I have the Pioneer bass bullets up front as well.

Anyways... just my opinion.

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

well i'm getting a new alpine sub now instead of using the factory one. and i'm putting a 10" sub under the 8" hole.

also i'll have mb quart rear shelf speakers..

front pioneer splits are gonna be run off the amp, aswell as the sub. deck will run rears.

Old 06-05-2003, 20:54   #8 (permalink)

make sure that it is a FREE-AIR sub! very important!
that is if you are not going to box it. what type of sub is it?
JBeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 23:50   #9 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

well i want the best damn 10" free air sub i can get. i dont wanna box it coz i want the boot space.. besides, i may put a box in there later, but i still want some thing for when you box is out.

i've been recommended an alpine sws1041, and a lanzar neo10. both of these subs come with recommended box sizes in their specs, but i was told they can run free-air(alpine rep said that their sub can).

otherwise if i'm not sure i'm gonna get a pioneer TS-W254F free air sub. is there anything better than the pioneer that i KNOW is specifically for free air?

also what speakers fit in the back of an EB?? 6"ers or 6.5"ers?? i want it looking stock.

Old 06-12-2003, 07:18   #10 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

I would go for JL Audio, Kenwood or Pioneer. I run full Kenwood in my XA and they pump! Go a ported box in the boot. It sounds so much better but make sure the sub is facing towards the rear of the car and give it lots of power to run off.
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security