Not Enough Power In Car For Stezza - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2003, 05:04   #1 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

mad Not Enough Power In Car For Stezza

I have a pretty new reconed altanator and new battery, and it seems my stezza is starting to stuff up my altanator coz it seems like it makes the belt real loose all the time and the voltmeter rises slowly now when i start up. Starting to get pissed off with it coz i cant seem to drive at night with ma lights on and the stezza on

Is there any way around this prob apart from buying a bigger alt?
94EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
P Plater

Re: Not Enough Power In Car For Stezza

dual battery system. that would fix it right up

Pioneer Deh-1550
Resopnse XL series 12inch subwoofer
Ford front factory speakers
YellowXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Great idea cheers mate
Old 07-27-2003, 05:54   #4 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Unless your using dry cell batteries, or your putting both batteries in the engine bay, relocating batteries is Illegal and warrants a defect notice...

Are the belts V belt, or do they have three ridges in them? The belts shouldn't keep splipping like that. If it's a V belt, then you might be better off changing the Harmonic balancer and Alternator pulleys to the three ridge design...
Old 07-27-2003, 06:25   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Rymers is that right about relocating batteries?
didnt know that one...I was going to move mine to the boot in the next few weeks.

91_Ea, start with basics,

Check voltage between engine block and battery negative, engine running with headlights, high beams and rear demister on,
Get someone to hold it at around 1500 rpm
If its over .5 volts, run a new earth lead from the block to the battery, and from the battery to the body.

Next, do the same with the + lead from the alternator and + of the battery,
If there is around 0.5v present, run a new wire, with a fusible link from teh alt + terminal direct to the battery + terminal.

Voltage loss in the cables will cause the alternator regulator to "overshoot" trying to keep the voltage constant.

Check the voltage between the alternator + terminal and engine block, then compare this with the voltage across the battery. (do this with the engine running, lights etc on as above) You should have around 13.8 - 14.8 volts at around 1500 rpm.

What cable have you got running to the amp?

This may solve the problem, other than that, try a 1 farad capacitor right near the amp.

[edit: another thing, the power steering pump isnt leaking is it, this can also cause problems with the alternator - learnt that one the hard way, recon alternator went through a set of brushes and destroyed the commutator in around a month]

Last edited by 9psi EB; 07-27-2003 at 06:30.
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:13   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
Rymers is that right about relocating batteries?
didnt know that one...I was going to move mine to the boot in the next few weeks.
Yep, I just found out that one myself. Lead acid batteries are not allowed to be exposed to the cabin due to the fumes they produce, that's why dry cells are allowed as they don't contain acid... IMO the drycells are excellent value for money, and is well worth the extra $$$ for both the convenience of installing (they can be relocated and mounted upside if you want), and also the extra power and life they boast...
Old 07-27-2003, 22:58   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowXF
dual battery system. that would fix it right up
Actually, a dual battery system won't help.

If the alternator can't produce enough current to keep one battery full, then it sure as hell can't produce enough to keep two of them full...

Likewise with a drycell battery, although one of these won't help your situation, it's like Rmyers said - they are great and worth the $$$.

I'd be doing exactly what 9psiEB has said if it was me...

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 23:42   #8 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Thanx for all the feed back guys, it only seems to put the volts down to bout 12 when i got it in drive while idling eg at the lights i have to turn it down or else i get the belt squeelin. Have tightened the belt up soooo many times, ill get back to ya''ll when i have done some more test's...

I have hella fat wire for my + and my - I Thought ya could but hella bigger systems in as mine is not relly that big

Last edited by 94EF_Ghia; 07-27-2003 at 23:49.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:06   #9 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Im not sure how many amps the stock EA alternator is but my XF stock alternator is only 50 amps....50amps is not a lot when a huge stereo is running...bosch make 80amp + alternators to suit many cars...that might be the go for you..check to see how much your current alternator is rated it..its usually written on it somewhere..

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:45   #10 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Will do that. i think i got a mitsubishi one how eva ya spell it. Could that be a cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Audio And Security